Deco QoS for video communication applications

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-22 19:56:59 - last edited 2020-12-07 08:59:45
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

The QoS feature on the Deco M9 Plus allows users to prioritise certain types of applications. These applications fall into the following categories:

• Gaming
  • Streaming
  • Surfing
  • Chatting
  • Downloading

I would like to prioritise network traffic for video communication applications (e.g. Skype, Zoom, FaceTime). Which of the categories do these applications fall under?

Many thanks,

Lex

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco QoS for video communication applications-Solution
2020-12-05 22:08:27 - last edited 2020-12-07 08:59:45

@AdminLex 

After some experimetiwe have had success prioritising 'Chatting' as well as setting the laptop (MacBook Pro) as a high priority device.

Also note that in the Account settings on the web 'more settings' portal on Zoom there is a DSCP switch in the 'In meeting (advanced)' section. This needs to be switched ON at default settings in order to mark the data packets so that QoS can recognise them and work properly.

Hope this helps.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco QoS for video communication applications
2020-04-22 23:43:54

@AdminLex Good question - I would say chatting but I'm not really sure.

I have to say I do find the QOS implemenation to be poor, doesnt seem to have much effect and still allows a single device to hog the complete bandwidth. 

In my opinion an adequate QOS system shouldnt allow a single device to slow your whole network.

-- Deco X50-POE user
Options
2020-05-13 13:08:55

@AdminLex 

I refer to the DECO M4 I'm testing.

In the DECO app, QoS feature is available only in Router mode.

It is not clear to me how QoS is implemented.

If I do not add any device to the QoS "high priority" list,  I cannot use any video/chat application, because skype, teams, or zoom are so slow that are unusable.

If I add the device running the videochat application in the "high priority" list, skype and the others videochat sw work better.

I say "better", because if I connect the device to :

- the  WLAN provided by the primary upstream router, OR

- the M4 system, configured in AP mode

the voice and video performance of each device is much better.

So what I understood since now is:

- Only devices listed in "High priority" list are allowed to use a larger bandwidth (but "how much" larger is not specified, nor under user control)

- in Router mode, QoS algorithmic is always running in the background - even if no device has been inserted to the QoS section - and limits all devices connected to the access point 

Because of these limitations - in my opinion,  poor implementation - I am now compelled to run the M4 system in AP mode, to be able to use the videochat services.

I see that TP-Link R&D team is very slow in releasing firmware upgrades (I've read about the "non isolated guest network" severe issue, unresolved after 18 months), I guess I will return the three Deco M4 satellites I just bought and I'll buy another brand.

Options
2020-05-13 20:38:15

@Kevin_Z , can you please help here, i believe a lot of us have this question.. is very easy, if we want to prioritize Video Calls (like Zoom, Google meets , Facetime), what do we need to do on QOS (Streaming or Chatting or maybe even Surfing).. 

Thx..

Options
2020-08-23 05:09:31

@AdminLex 

I find it funny that none of the QOS topics have a resolution. 

QOS simply does not work on TP-link routers.

Options
2020-12-02 15:47:26

@AdminLex same here. Zoom is a nightmare with a MacBook Pro wireless on an M9 Plus. Guidance on QoS please!

Options
Re:Deco QoS for video communication applications-Solution
2020-12-05 22:08:27 - last edited 2020-12-07 08:59:45

@AdminLex 

After some experimetiwe have had success prioritising 'Chatting' as well as setting the laptop (MacBook Pro) as a high priority device.

Also note that in the Account settings on the web 'more settings' portal on Zoom there is a DSCP switch in the 'In meeting (advanced)' section. This needs to be switched ON at default settings in order to mark the data packets so that QoS can recognise them and work properly.

Hope this helps.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3908

Replies: 6