Connecting Tp-Link Range Extender to another Range Extender or Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-24 01:27:17
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20190521 Rel. 52591

I have an Archer A10 router with two wifi range extenders, RE450 and RE650 and would like to extend the range of my wifi in one direction. I have 2 options being considered ...

(1) My first choice would have been to try to daisy-chain the devices but that is heavily discouraged by Tp-Link and others, due to performance issues. I have gigabit internet with a really good router and comparable extenders, so a significant performance reduction still means very good service, abeit with a slightly longer lag, so I'd like to know how to set-up the range extenders in that format ...

ROUTER: <<Archer A10>> Guest Network SSID XX1 & XX1_5GHz, DHCP Server (Not sure what the range should be - It is currently exlusive of the range greyed-out on Extender A and Extender B)

EXTENDER A: <<RE650>> as Range Extender connected to ROUTER Guest Network with Extended network SSID XX2 & XX2_5GHz, Fixed IP outside of router pool, default gateway is LAN IP of Router and DHCP Off

--- It works up to this point ---

EXTENDER B: <<RE450>> as Range Extender connected to EXTENDER A with Extended network SSID XX2 & XX2_5GHz (Same passord and Extended network as EXTENDER A), Fixed IP outside of router pool, default gateway is LAN IP of Router and DHCP Off

--- Can connect to ROUTER but is not getting internet access ---

What am I doing wrong? What settings should I use?

OR

(2) I would much prefer to connect the extenders wirelessly because I'd like to extend the guest network and not allow those on the extended network to access the devices on the main network. Also, I'm using Smart Connect on the ROUTER, so that would probably confuse or delay the communication between the extenders and the router. However, my second choice would be to connect EXTENDER A (in access point mode) by wire to the ROUTER, then connect EXTENDER B as Range Extender to Extender A. I'd have to buy a long wire for this so I haven't tried it yet. What would be the settings on EXTENDER A and EXTENDER B with this arrangement?

Thank you for your input - - Keep healthy and safe!

Options