WDS Initial Setup Works, But Fails to Reconnect to Root Router and Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-25 08:45:19
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I am configuring my TP Link AC1750 Archer A7 to act as a WDS bridge using my iPhone (AT&T) personal hotspot.

I used this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1084/

After jumping through so so documentation and insufficient clarity on subnet requirements, I was able to get it working:  my computers, ... could connect to the Internet through to the TP Link router Wifi bridged through my personal hotspot.

The problem comes as soon as you turn off the personal hotspot or it goes out of range.

At that point, the TP Link just bombs and does not reconnect to the personal hotspot when it is turned back on or back in range.

I've tried power cycling the TP Link a number of times with no better result.

I don't particularly feel like having to do a factory reset and reconfigure everything every time I get home...

Sooooo...

Does anybody have this working properly?

What's the secret sauce?

What configuration parameters need to be tweaked to get it to successfully and reliably reconnect to the root router (personal hotspot)?

Here's a few details about how I got it to "work" (hard fail as soon as personal hotspot is turned off or out of range).

My iPhone 8 personal hotspot is handing out IP addrs from 172.20.10.xx subnet

The iPhone 8 has its IP addr set as 172.20.10.1

I configured the IP addr (Advanced > Network > LAN) of the TP Link to be 172.20.10.2 with 255.255.0.0 mask to get it to be on the same subnet as the root router (personal hotspot).   The TP Link instructions are somewhat lacking in this area, since a lot of the assumptions are for 192.168.xx.xx addrs

My computer connected to the TP Link fine (given IP addr 172.20.10.11) and I was able to surf the Internet fine and connect to the router config web page via tplinkwifi.net

Pings, traceroute, ... all worked as they should.

After turning off the iPhone 8 personal hotspot and then back on a few minutes later, the TP Link router just chokes.

I connected my computer to the TP Link router, the IP addr I was given was a wonky 169.254.149.144 and there was no Internet connection.  I never saw any connections to the personal hotspot by the TP Link router after.

I would love to get this working reliably!

Just get a different [brand] router?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 604

Replies: 0

Related Articles