Bandwidth Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bandwidth Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bandwidth Control
Bandwidth Control
2020-04-25 12:41:06
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm trying to get deep understanding of exactly how bandwidth control rules work.  The logic of the settings makes it hard to understand what's going on, and the manual is not clear. Any help appreciated from experts :)

I use a reserved IP list. About 30 devices.

• I want to use bandwidth control, and to restrict a specific band of devices to low useage.
  • The rest of the devices can have as much as they can get.
  • Plus there are two devices that should never be restricted and if there's a contraint, then get first call: VOIP phone and NAS

Questions re the article

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1113/

If I enable bandwith control:

Presumable the total will apply to all connected devices, whether in a rule or not. Please advise if not true.

Assuming yes - How exactly does the Total bandwidth figure work? I assumed it was a "Max" setting, for those on a metered account that want to control total usage.  But the article suggests matching these to the ISP figures, which implies it's used to work out percentages for use in the rules. 

A. I only want the rules function. I don't care about non-ruled devices and I want them to get whatever the ISP can offer, so I set a nonsense figure in the totals of 500,000. Is this a bad idea?

The Priority is confusing. How does this priority fit with non-rules devices?

192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.105 rule for  6000Kbps with priority of 3. 

192.168.1.106 -- 192.168.1.109 rule for 15000Kbps with priority of 1. 

B. What happens to device 192.168.1.1  ?  I.e.  What is the default priority?

C. Is 192.168.1.1 given the "Total" set bandwidth? Or is completey outside of bandwidth control altogether?

Must I make sure that if I use bandwith control at all, then every connected device should fit inside a rule otherwise Priority 1 will not do what the manual says

"4) Priority: Keep the default setting. You can change the value if you want to first guarantee the bandwidth for one computer. The smaller value has the higher priority."

For this to be true, unruled devices must surely get a priority. Can anyone advise what it is so I can compare with ruled priorities 1 to 8?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Bandwidth Control
2020-06-17 15:06:19

No-one?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 1

Related Articles