More than 3 Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

More than 3 Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
More than 3 Deco P9
More than 3 Deco P9
2020-04-25 15:12:56
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I want to install 4 Deco P9 (1 master + 3 satellites).

First of all, is it possible?

I have not found where to buy a satellite alone.
Should I buy 2 x Deco P9 (pack of 2)? Can a P9 master become a wifi satellite?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:More than 3 Deco P9
2020-04-25 19:27:45

@DK26 

All P9s are equal. So 2x Pack of 2 should work.

Good luck with them. Unfortunately you'll need it

Options
2020-04-25 20:10:14
Thank you for your response. thank you for your response But why did you say "Good luck with them. Unfortunately you'll need it" ? Is not a good product ?
Options
2020-04-25 21:42:50

@DK26 

Unfortunately they seem leave a lot to desire at the moment.

Looked like the ideal solution for me, and on paper they still are. And on the positive side they do have greate WiFi coverage and fast roaming works well. The rest is definitely lacking.

1. No management console, besides the App, which if by any means you're without internet access means you can't acess anything.
  2. Even in the App, in access point mode there's barely anything you can do
  3. Bug in "Smart DHCP" that made client lose internet connectivity in Access Point mode
  4. No apparent firmware updates since launch, which is too long for a problem with so many problems

Maybe it works better in router mode, but it wasn't an option for me.

Personally I wouldn't consider it until a new firmware comes along. But it's up to you

Options
2020-05-10 14:48:11

@DK26  got mine in router mode and coverage is great, just no WPS so printer connecting is difficu

Options
2020-05-11 14:57:17

@AllanForsyth WPS available in beta firmware 

Options
2020-05-11 17:58:35

@timp78  thanks, given how much I have paid for quality equipment, I shouldn't need to experiment with beta versions so the kit will be going back. Shame really as I have used tp link kit for years

Options
2020-05-13 22:35:09

@AllanForsyth 

I am afraid I was also attracted by what looked like a perfect combo of wireless and powerline, I have 6 of these things and spent far too many hours trying to work out how to make them stable and adequate performance.  I am close to giving up but did manage to get a setup of 3 units stable for an extended period.  I have upgraded the firmware with the beta version that someone provided on the forum, was actually not that hard to use the tool to upgrade and you do get a lot more information and a web interface, the app shows which is being used to conect, wireless, powerline or both and this for me does vary from time to time so not sure if that is because wireless signal fluctuates and need for powerline is intermittent.  Performance is still not great I see maybe max 50 in the slave units and maybe 80-100 in the room next to the main unit.

However when I added a 3rd slave so 4 in total things started to get flaky again.

On the web interface you can see the CPU usage % and also the memory use - one thing that I noticed is that in the x 4 config the main unit frequently hits 100% so I am wondering if the mediation tasks that it performs to manage routing and other decisions is overloading the processor and hitting the wall.  I am not technical but does not look right that the processor is maxed out - sort of implies that it must be dropping some tasks at that point.

Anyway I thought I would share my experiences, will return to 3 units tomorrow and see if the processor still does the same.

Options