Adding 2 new Access Points to my network using existing SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-26 04:11:26
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have bought two TL-WA801ND access points to place in different parts of my house to extend signal. These locations each have hard wire access to the main router in the house. 

When I do the setup via tplinkap.net I have changed the IP, turned off DHCP and selected a different channel to the main router as there may some overlap. 

Problem is, how do i change these settings for each of the new AP's I bought? When I hit tplinkap.net I dont see anywhere which shows the two devices? Also, when accessing the main router through ethernet I only see one TP device. Do I need to add one to my network?

I can see my phones connect to each AP when I'm nearby but I often have to disconect internet and turn back on for it to pick up the nearby device which isnt how it should be working. 

I did mess about with the add device section on tplinkap.net and typed in a pin from the bottom of one of the AP's but it didnt seem to do anything. Not sure if thats what I should be doing though. 

Any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding 2 new Access Points to my network using existing SSID
2020-04-26 08:00:05

@matt1927 They are independent, you manage each AP connecting to each IP management address. There is no centralized management point, they are just three devices to setup. Same as if they would be different brands or models.

The tplinkwifi domain just points to the router you are connecting at that time, and since you don't really know which one is because they all have the same SSID it's better if you connect writing the IP in the browser.

Maybe in your case a mesh system would work better (network assisted roaming so devices connect to the best point), but you should either use the Deco devices from TP Link (OneMesh doesn't support wired backhaul between nodes) or other brands that allow wired backhaul (read AiMesh).

Options
Re:Adding 2 new Access Points to my network using existing SSID
2020-04-26 08:11:49

@mocelet 

Thanks mate. 

Good to know that the address just connects to the connected device. I'll have a play around and see if I can change the ip's to allow me to log in individually. 

Thanks for the extra advice. I'll have a read up that. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 807

Replies: 2

Related Articles