Parental control time restrictions not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-26 12:49:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Our M4 mesh (3 units) has been working very well for the last few months but this morning my kids devices couldn't connect to wifi due to parental controls stopping them. We tried rebooting the devices and rebooting the decos. Tried removing the devices from the app list, also tried deleting and readding their profiles with the same controls. None of this helped, although devices could connect fine when removed from their profile. Eventually worked out they they could connect if I turned off the bedtime restrictions in their profile (I dont use the time limit option). Currently bedtime is set from 12 midnight to 6am and this was happening during the day. It's almost as if the decos don't know what time it is! I would like to be able to reinstate the bedtime restriction - any way this can be fixed? 

Thanks

Options
17 Reply
Re:Parental control time restrictions not working properly
2020-05-11 03:10:00

@mdskids I have the same problem. Very frustrating. I just got the units. 

Options
2020-05-12 03:10:05

Having the same issue and there is no timezone to set either!

Options
2020-05-12 06:44:16

Well at least I'm not alone! tbh I'd actually forgotten about this issue until these new posts. Thing are a bit different during lockdown as far as the kids screen time so have been using the hand-your-phone-over approach at bed time. This does need to be fixed - lets hope this gets noticed. Have either of you contacted customer support directly? (I must admit I haven't). 

Options
2020-05-12 16:56:42

I am suffering the same problem. I have realised that the system has wrong time. Through the web interface I changed the time zone (you cannot change the time or de date, only the time zone), but the system sets the time 4 hours ahead of actual time. In my case, Deco M4R and Santiago de Chile Time Zone. I have tested other time zones are working properly, but not all.

Check through the browser interface if your system has correct time, otherwise parental controls will not work properly.

Regards.

P.D. I have already tried to reinstall all decos, but again system time is wrong, although time zone has been properly set.

Options
2020-05-13 11:40:56

@Homemaker j figured it out... you need to take into account that some time zones are wrong... such as Toronto for instance. I need to set my parental controls 4 hours ahead and then it works. Time zones are in the router settings. Too bad I had to spend so much precious time to figure this !@#$% thing out. It is a wondeŕful unit otherwise in terms of coverage and options.

Options
2020-05-13 11:43:58

TP-Link people... I hope you are reading this thread... update the M4 firmware so we can use your product properly... 

Options
2020-05-13 11:54:07

Thanks everyone. I'm in UK, so I'll try setting the timezone to somewhere -4 hours and see if that does the trick.

Options
2020-05-13 12:10:39

It is not always a 4 hours offset problem. Some time zones work properly in the router, some others don't. Try selecting different times zones close to the UK one until you see correct time. And recheck when the next DST change happens.

Regards.

Options
2020-05-13 13:27:22

@mdskids 

I own a DECO M4 since 3 days, noticed the same issues: wrong system time (my is set back in 2019...), parental control has inconsistent behaviour.

No way to set the system time and date, even from the - poor - web interface.

This is the third severe issue I found in this mesh system, I think my only option is to return it back to seller.

Options
2020-05-13 15:32:28

I have messaged their support, however they are not looking to be very responsive or helpful. It is a timezone issue in the (poor) web interface.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 8867

Replies: 17