QoS priority to network device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-23 21:40:58
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.17 Build 120426 Rel.29216n

ISP :

Hi.

In the absence of true QoS capability on the 4300, what is the best way to give bandwidth priority to one of my network devices?

I have an Apple Airport Extreme connected to my network. It is used to stream music from my Ipod to my sound system. I do this through my network (rather then connecting the IPod directly to the AE) so that I can connect to radio stations over the internet. The problem is that I'm getting random dropouts (pauses in streaming). I've shut down everything on the IPod to make sure that there are no Apps competing for WIFI resources. The dropouts happen even if there is little activity on the network (e.g., file downloads, youtube, etc.)

What I want to do is to get the 4300 to give top priority to the AE. How can I do this without QoS capability? Can I allocate more bandwidth to the AE when it is receiving streaming data?

Note: The AE is always connected to the network. It uses DHCP to get it's IP address. It is connected to the 5G band. Signal strength is typically 1 to 2 of 3 bars (average is 1.5 bars). The 2.4G band has a slightly higher signal strength but the same dropouts occur so the problem does not appear to be signal strength.

Peter
Options
1 Reply
Re:QoS priority to network device
2013-01-24 17:59:36
It seems there is no option to set up priority for some applications on this router. Bandwidth Control is used to limit the Egress and Ingress, but that may not be so helpful...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 650

Replies: 1

Related Articles