Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 13:01:27
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 160613 Rel.40404n

Since a recent update to the tether app (don't know when exactly), the tether app is refusing the router admin password. I know the admin password is correct, as I am able to access the admin interface for the router via a web browser (any of them) installed on any PC or mobile device and putting the router IP address in the address bar. I have tried deleting all data in the app, and removing/reinstalling the app and the same thing happens. I get the same thing on both Android and iOS. I have tried setting the admin password to '1' to ensure there is no possibility of mistyping the password on the app, and unsurprisingly (the password I entererd was infact correct) the tether app still reported incorrect password. I am at a loss, on what to do with this app, it's broken completely, and I find it more 'friendly' to use than the browser interface.As I see it, the only choice is to abandon the app until such time as TP-Link fix the app, but as my attempts to contact support and explain the situation resulted in my being told the only choice (as I was unable to access the admin pages on the router, which is incorrect) was to hard reset the router, I have no expectation that any action will be taken.

Has anyone else encountered this and know what to do to resolve it?

(I'm hoping someone at TP-Link will read this and pass it along to the app devs)

(I have reset the admin password to something properly secure :))

Options
44 Reply
Re:Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.
2020-05-02 11:27:37

@js001 I've encountered exactly the same thing updating my routers firmware yesterday. I didn't even update the tether app I don't think. Web portal works fine. App says incorrect password everytime. 

Hoping there's a fix to this soon. 

Options
2020-05-22 12:26:47

@Dave__S 

Same problem here.
is there a way to report this bug to tp-link ?

Options
2020-05-22 12:29:31

@smounche I'd since contacted TPlink customer support and the only answer he kept coming back to is a full factory reset of the router which I'm not willing to do. Even backing up and restoring after a reset will restore it to the point in time with the errored password it looks like. 

So at the moment I'm living with it. 

Options
2020-05-22 12:31:22

@smounche That's exactly the same advice I was given, and I do not see how it can possibly help. I've just given up with the tether app, and admin the router via a browser. Which works perfectly on the same devices that tether does not.

Options
2020-05-22 12:54:39

@js001 @Dave__S

Don't give up ! what tp-link saying about factory reset to the router is BS!
there is definitely a problem with the app. in my case it's not a router but this device I got from my ISP;

https://service-provider.tp-link.com/home-wifi-system/hc220-g1/

as you can see the app found the device, trying to enter the password won't work.
i tried several times to factory reset the device - didn't work.
so factory reset your router is BS

Options
2020-05-22 12:58:51
Yeah it definitely felt like him resorting to his manual of scripted responses on live chat, as if this problem was way above his level of expertise.
Options
2020-05-22 14:24:19

@Dave__S 

it's a real bummer, how can we get TP-link attention on this matter? 

perhaps inside the app details or in the App Store / Google play store there is an email for the app support?

Options
2020-05-22 15:44:10 - last edited 2020-05-22 15:44:35

@smounche The app shows to use the support pages and forum. The help page in the app also shows the same advice as already given out, hard reset the router, but is predicated on the basis that the password is unknown, rather than the app is broken.

Options
2020-05-22 16:03:49
Well what can we do ?
Options
2020-05-26 23:37:04
Same issue on my side with WR940N v6 and iPhone 7. I experience the issue already right from the purchase about a year ago. Unfortunately no updates either on app nor on router helped so far. So the only way I saw so far was to report within the App Store with 1 star rating and describing the issue. The more will follow the more chance for improvement ;) Also remove special characters from pass does not help. So if anybody have any hints where the issue might be or what to try out - always glad to hear! Would be interesting to know whether the issue is only on iPhone? I am not sure whether the issue appears also with default configuration - right after reset. Have someone tried out?
Options

Information

Helpful: 23

Views: 21823

Replies: 44