Connect wireless router to phone hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 13:48:03
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have a wr940n wireless router. No wifi or WLAN available. The signal in my home is exclusively from my phone hotspot.

I need to set it up so that the router is connected to the hotspot in order to share the signal to other devices.

How can i setup the router so that in automatic it connects to the hotspost from my phone?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone that can hep!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Connect wireless router to phone hotspot
2020-05-19 04:37:11

@Gio999  Hi All,

I'm interested in doing something similar and would like to know if you've had success in doing this? If not, can anyone let me know what tp-link routers will use a mobile phone hotspot as the wan/internet connection? 

Thanks!

Options
2020-05-19 09:06:48

The advantage of accessing a Mobile Hotspot connection through a wireless router is that you can connect more devices to the wireless router as compared to a direct hotspot connection. You can easily manage your home or office network when all the devices are connected through a router.

Options
2020-05-29 00:13:40
That would be good to manage the small home network and use the mobile hotspot for internet. I've tried to set this up with a tl-wr841n router, I'm just having trouble with getting an internet connection.
Options
2020-05-30 15:07:49

@Gio999 

Unfortunately so far I have not managed to use the hotspot as a sourse signal to the router to then connect all devices.

The only thing I have found whch seems explanatory is the following video (which for you might work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ykqFgJi-ZE

Options
2021-07-06 09:54:19

@Gio999  I know it's been a year but here's how I do it (I have win10 & droid). Connect Ethernet cable PC to router WAN. Hotspot or turn on tethering app. From here on everything is done on PC. Connect to phone. Go into Network settings then change adapter settings. Locate adapter currently using to connect. Right click, click properties. Click share tab, Ethernet You may need to reset router but as long as PC & Ethernet stays connected you should have internet on everything that is connected to router. I'd recommend USB tethering if possible because it's much faster than Bluetooth & wifi connection to "server".

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 17851

Replies: 5

Related Articles