Range Extender (TL-WA850RE) Cutting Speeds Dramatically

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 20:29:59 - last edited 2020-04-28 20:47:56
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I've been reading around for similar threads but haven't been able to find a solution.

Our smart TV in our living room seems to have a hard time consistently connecting to our WiFi. We'll see the picture quality on streaming sites constantly drop to lower resolutions as the TV struggles to keep up. Laptops and phones don't seem to have an issue, so we figure that may be due to better WiFi detection in general on those devices. TV is a newer Samsung less than 2 years old. Figured a range extender might help!

Our router in the bedroom is about 20-25 feet horizontally away from the TV, with a thin closet wall and a regular bedroom wall in-between. We installed our TP Link extender on the opposite side of the bedroom wall (approx. 15 ft away, in the living room where the TV is located) where it gets 3 blue lights for signal strength. The extender is as close to half-way between the router and TV as I can get it.

Standing in front of the TV on my normal home network (on phone or laptop), speeds are 205 mbps down / 116 mbps up. With the TP Link Extender, speeds are reduced all the way down to 10.5 mbps down / 19.8 mbps up. The product says it's good for up to 300 mbps, but we're seeing a reduction in speed by about 20x. What could be causing this? I've tried relocating the extender to spots closer to the router (even though they're farther from the TV) and am getting similar results.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Range Extender (TL-WA850RE) Cutting Speeds Dramatically
2020-05-19 10:52:25

Literally the exact problem I'm having and the reason I made this account. I have download speeds of 212mps from my main router, my tplink extender I get between 8 and 15. Haven't been able to find anything concrete as to why. 

Options
2020-05-21 05:27:31

@billyg0at1991 I have the same issue with RE200. At the same position, without the RE the speed is about 10 times more quick than when i conect to the RE

Options
2020-06-15 03:01:11 - last edited 2020-06-15 03:02:02

Any chance you were able to resolve this on your end? Nobody has responded to the thread and I'm still very much in the same boat I was in when I posted.

Hoping someone out there has seen a similar issue and been able to fix their range extender.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 929

Replies: 3