Guest Wi-Fi with a different default gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-29 18:34:57
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm using my C5400 as an AP (without any routing features or DHCP turned on) with another device functioning as a router. I'd like to use the guest wi-fi feature (with isolation so internet only), but devices connected to the guest network are not able to access the internet.

I suspect guest network (with isolation turned on) only allows access to the C5400 IP regardless of what is actually the gateway for the network. Is that accurate?

Any way to allow access to just a single IP without exposing the entire local network?

Thank you.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Guest Wi-Fi with a different default gateway
2020-05-01 07:30:05

@daq Only the main router can isolate guests from the network, an access point is only able to isolate one guest from another guest.

An access point belongs to the main router's network, all clients, guests or not, belong to the same network, and main router provides IP and default gateway by DHCP without even knowing if it's a "guest" or not.

Plus, access point mode, as you pointed out, disables routing features and behaves essentially like a switch.

Options
Re:Guest Wi-Fi with a different default gateway
2020-05-01 17:11:46 - last edited 2020-05-01 17:12:41

I figured as much, but wanted to confirm.

I ended up replacing my router with an actual AP and setting up a separate VLAN for guest network. I was just hoping to squeeze some useful function out of my C5400 after it started failing as a router, but i guess it worked for 3 years without issues so that's good enough.

I do wish $300 devices lasted a bit longer though. $100/year to rent a router seems steep.

BTW, I don't think there's any difference in segregating client from client and segregating client from local network. Maybe I misunderstood what you said. Either way this point is tangential to this discussion.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 822

Replies: 2

Related Articles