Virgin hub 3 modem mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Virgin hub 3 modem mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Virgin hub 3 modem mode
Virgin hub 3 modem mode
2020-05-03 07:19:21
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello I've just set up my deco m4 to my virgin hub3 and have put the hub3 into modem mode which I was told to do and all works fine but I've also been told that I didn't need to do this. Is this the case? With the hub3 in normal WiFi mode would the deco m4 still work and provide my home with a mesh network. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Virgin hub 3 modem mode
2020-05-03 10:09:18

@darrena3461 My Deco units arrived on Friday and I set them up (in about 10mins), connecting them to my Virgin Hub in router mode. It all works fine. I even have two wifi networks to choose from.

However - I really wanted to use the same network name (ESSID) and password so that all my devices would "just connect" to the new Deco netork. This is not possible of course (you cannot have two networks with the same name) so I gave it a new name and just went round re-confiuring all the devices (which was a pain).

I do however want to remove the Virgin Hub3 from the equation altogether, and will - once I have asked a few questions of my own - switch the Virgin Hub3 to Modem mode...

I hope that helps...

Mark

Options
2020-05-03 10:28:52

@Arthur_Dent  so what would happen then if I was to go back into my hub3 and turn the WiFi option back on? Would the mesh system clash with the hub as this is what I was told would happen. 

Options
2020-05-03 11:03:29 - last edited 2020-05-03 11:04:20

@darrena3461 Did you give it the same name?

If so, yes it will certainly clash. If not (and please bear in mind that I am NO expert in this stuff - far from it) all I can tell you is that, at the moment, I have my Virgin Media Hub3 in router mode; I can connect wifi devices to either network (although I have set all the devices I can find, to be on the new Deco network), and I am typing this from a PC connected by ethernet to the Virgin hub.

I cannot speak to interference issues (I guess that would be the same as having a neighbour's wifi close to yours and I think the Deco is smart enough to cope with it) but you would need someone who actually knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me) to answer that one.

As I say, my eventual aim is to switch to Modem mode on the Virgin Hub - I just can't do it at the moment - and it seem to work just fine in Router mode for now...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2337

Replies: 3

Related Articles