Deco AC 1300 with switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco AC 1300 with switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco AC 1300 with switch
Deco AC 1300 with switch
2020-05-03 10:52:56

Hello all,

A couple of questions if I may:

I got my new Deco AC1300 set a couple of days ago and I am very very happy with it so far. I am not technically illiterate, but I am far from expert with networking, so please bear with with me (and type slowly so I can understand...).

I am using this with a Virgin Media Hub3 (in router mode at the moment). and it all works fine. However, currently in the room where the Hub3 is located I have directly connected 4 devices (2 x PCs, 1 x  printer and a NAS) to the ethernet ports on the hub. Plugging in the Deco means that I have to do without one of these devices. Although I know that I can connect it to the second port on the Deco primary unit, this is not the solution I want. Ideally I would like to be able to put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and run both my WiFi and wired network from the Deco.

My questions:

1) Can I connect that 2nd port on the primary Deco M5 to a switch? If so can I just get a 5 or 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch (seem cheap enough on ebuyer) and then connect all my devices to that switch?

2) If I can, and I do that, will they get gigabit ethernet?

3) OK - I know I said a couple of questions but this is only a little one - The ethernet cable that comes in the box to connect the Deco to the modem/router seems to be a Cat5 cable (not Cat5e or Cat6). Does this mean I can only get 100mbit speeds?

Thanks in advance for helping out a networking newbie...

AD

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 452

Replies: 0

Related Articles