Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-04 18:53:08 - last edited 2021-12-13 06:50:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I just installed a Deco M5 mesh 3 device network in conjunction with my old network as my old wifi router died. The wireless network works great. All my devices and my wireless printer connect to it fine. My problem is I can't print from my wired computers.

My set up looks like this :

Any thoughts?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer-Solution
2021-12-11 17:07:41 - last edited 2021-12-13 06:50:13

@rfrimark 

I think I've got an idea. Also, I can confidently tell that you are able to print from PCs connected by LAN to ISP Router. It is only wireless devices connected to Deco that can't access the printer.

It is because you have two networks in your house: one created by ISP router, another by Main Deco which also works as a router. PCs connected by LAN to ISP router and printer connected by switch to ISP router belong to one network. Devices wirelessly connected to Main Deco belong to another network.

There is often a challenge to have devices on two different networks communicate with each other.

The standard solution for home networks is to bring everything under the same network.

The simplest way to do that is change Deco configuration to make it run in Access Point mode. You can find this setting in Deco app, under More/Advanced. Screenshot below. Try that and see if it works for you.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer
2020-05-06 23:07:45

bump for help

Options
Re:Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer
2020-05-11 18:03:20

@James547 good look, tp link tech guy told me to buy a WPA2 compatible printer and it will work fine. New printer bought and no further forward as it still won't connect. Very disappointed as tp link view is it is a printer issue and nothing to do with the Deco P9 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Options
2021-03-29 06:01:39

@James547 Hi. I had a similar problem with by system on a Halo s12 mesh (support query went to tp-link).  I got my wireless printer via the wireless mesh by enabling DMZ for the printer IP (192.168.1.113) within the mesh.  When adding the printer from my PC LAN i added it manual using TCP/IP using the mesh's IP (192.168192.168.0.139). It find the printer and printing works both from lan and wireless devices. 

Support was of no help - how did you go with your problem ?  Cheers. 

My config is below 

The setup is –

Hard wired LAN

Optus network Modem/router

IP 192.168.0.1 Gateway  with DHCP.

PC via LAN 192.168.0.81    

Halo s12

Lan connected to Optus modem/router

Wan

IP Address:192.168.0.139

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Gateway:192.168.0.1

LAN  

With DHCP

Printer connected wireless to Halo s12 (192.168.1.113)  with DMZ enabled.

Options
2021-09-13 22:31:11

@NenadMelb I have a couple of questions for you. What do you refere to hard wired LAN?

the Optus modem/router is the one provided by your Internet Provider?

What is DMZ and where is it enabled?

I understand that the correct order is to first add the printer to the wireless network and then add it manually on your PC/MAC viaTCP/IP?

Thank you.

Options
2021-12-11 10:50:33

@James547 I have a similar problem with one difference - my printer is an old Samsung SCX-4729FD and has no wireless and so is connected to the Lan network and I can't print ffrom my wireless devices

Options
2021-12-11 13:17:38

rfrimark wrote

@James547 I have a similar problem with one difference - my printer is an old Samsung SCX-4729FD and has no wireless and so is connected to the Lan network and I can't print from my wireless devices

@rfrimark 

I have Deco WiFi mesh, I also have Xerox printer with no wireless, it is connected to the LAN and I can print on it from any wired and wireless device in my household. If you can share description of your home network, I may be able to offer you a solution to your problem.

Options
2021-12-11 15:50:11

@Alexandre.  Thanks for the offered help.

I have 2 comps who have Lan connection to the router ( ISP provided).

Next to one of the comps the printer sits and is connected to a switch, which connects to the router.

The router has a connection to 1 comp, the switch, a socket that leads to the second connected port and the Cable provider's VOD connection.

The switch is connected to the main Deco and the printer.

I have a Deco on the ground level as well and on the first floor.

I hope these are the details you are asking for.

Options
Re:Added a Deco M5 mesh to my current network and now I can't print from my Wireless printer-Solution
2021-12-11 17:07:41 - last edited 2021-12-13 06:50:13

@rfrimark 

I think I've got an idea. Also, I can confidently tell that you are able to print from PCs connected by LAN to ISP Router. It is only wireless devices connected to Deco that can't access the printer.

It is because you have two networks in your house: one created by ISP router, another by Main Deco which also works as a router. PCs connected by LAN to ISP router and printer connected by switch to ISP router belong to one network. Devices wirelessly connected to Main Deco belong to another network.

There is often a challenge to have devices on two different networks communicate with each other.

The standard solution for home networks is to bring everything under the same network.

The simplest way to do that is change Deco configuration to make it run in Access Point mode. You can find this setting in Deco app, under More/Advanced. Screenshot below. Try that and see if it works for you.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-11 19:58:14

@James547 

Thx, I think I will try that.

But if I remember correctly, the Deco recommendation was to form a new network.

Options
2021-12-11 21:18:40

@rfrimark 

Both are valid recommendations. I prefer to start with simpler solutions. To "form a new network" and keep PCs connected by LAN you may need to do some rewiring in your house, perhaps buy a new networking switch, while Access Point mode is just configuration setting.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3546

Replies: 10

Related Articles