Deco M9 Plus Overheating Cutting performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-07 20:17:55 - last edited 2020-05-07 20:19:52
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 beta

One of my Deco M9 Plus devices overheats and starts to decrease wifi speed, when i put a fan to cool the deco device my wifi speed goes back to normal,

could anyone at tp-link release a beta to show the deco device temperature

Options
21 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Overheating Cutting performance
2020-05-07 20:46:07

Here is the screenshot 

Options
2020-05-07 21:04:21

@SrDarkWarrior 

Intersting findings - sounds like the Deco throttles itself - what is the ambient temperature where your Deco is sited?

SrDarkWarrior wrote

One of my Deco M9 Plus devices overheats and starts to decrease wifi speed, when i put a fan to cool the deco device my wifi speed goes back to normal,

-- Deco X50-POE user
Options
2020-05-07 21:08:43

@Oakmeister 

The ambient temperature is between 24-25 degrees celsius 

Options
2020-06-15 18:45:14

@SrDarkWarrior You are lucky with it just overheating!  I have had my new M9 installed for just 12 days and one has apparently burnt out some how, compeletely dead to the world and no response (and yes I checked the transformer, swopped them around).

Curiously, not sure if this is related, but whilst the other unit is working, there are two very slight dimples in the top of it, as if something inside was too warm and started to just slightly soften the plastic.

Installed on top of a book case and a work surface, so nothing out of the ordinary there.  Looking at the fairly small holes, all in the bottom and nothing on top and I do think maybe they have compromised on the ventilation to get the style.

Not happy!

Options
2020-06-15 19:17:15

@ITwillgetbetter 

I'm sorry to hear that your unit has burn out, could you please show me a picture of yours deco unit

Thanks

Options
2020-06-26 22:45:27

@SrDarkWarrior I am having the same issue.  If i put a fan blowing air to it then its fine but as soon as i remove it it over heats to the point it feels like it will blow-up and the performance suffers a lot! I wonder if I should return and just get the Deco X6?

SrDarkWarrior wrote

Options
2020-06-29 20:10:55

@MAC85 

i don't know

Options
2020-06-30 05:06:31

@SrDarkWarrior I have made a wall mount for my main Deco M9+, it makes it dissipate heat somewhat easier. I would also suggest placing some "feet" under M9+ units that are lying on tables, it will improve air circulation a little. There are no vent holes on top of the units, so heat dissipation is not optimal.

Options
2020-07-24 06:26:01

@SrDarkWarrior . i have the same issue with 1 of these two devices. It is running a real hot. i had it over a speaker and.. wonder my surprice...  now i  noticed that it had "burnt" the paint of the speaker.. buff... i did not had this issue originally.... wonder what has changed during my approx. 1/2 year usage... otherwise i have been happy with product.. althou would like to have some more configuration options available..

but.. makes me think.. if i continue to use this product..... maybe those extra legs would help to coolking .. and let the air flow a bit better...

it looks like design has been the priority of this design. not the usage...  some quality issues perhaps ?.. 

ps. dont keep it the anymore... hmmn.n...

br. Marko

Options
2020-07-24 07:35:01

@SrDarkWarrior The airflow around the unit is much improved if the Deco is wall mounted. Improved airflow means improved cooling. I also found it was more convenient to mount the main Deco on the wall. Since there are no holes for wall mounting, I made an adapter see thingiverse  /thing:4441436

I have observed no degradation in signal strength when doing this, but the unit is much less hot this way. The other 2 M9+ units are placed on tables, but they seem to get less hot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 12237

Replies: 21