Using ethernet ports on Deco M4 slave connected by WiFi to the main Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-08 08:10:56
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

If you have 2 Deco's M4 connected together via WiFi, can you connect other devices to the ethernet ports of the slave DECO?

Here's what I want to do:

• The Deco's are connected via WiFi
  • The raspberry Pi (which is connected on the same switch as the main deco) must have access to the NAS (which is connected on the same switch as the slave deco)
  • The SteamLink (which is connected on the same switch as the main deco) must have access to the PC (which is connected on the same switch as the slave deco)

I can't figure out from reading the documentation if this configuration is possible or not.

I am currently using TP-Link powerline adapters 1200mbps in place of the Deco's to join my 2 network segments but the speed is catastrophic (I only get 20mbps) so I want to know if Deco's are a viable alternative.

Thanks,

Xavier

Options
5 Reply
Re:Using ethernet ports on Deco M4 slave connected by WiFi to the main Deco
2020-05-12 10:03:31 - last edited 2020-05-12 10:38:00

@Xavier79 

Yes, you can. I have Yamaha wx10 speaker connected by wire to slave deco unit in second room.

But speed on slave deco will be degraded to about half of master unit Wi-Fi speed, even with perfect signal strength.

I can get about 460mbps on master unit Wi-Fi, but on slave only 220mbps with 100% signal strength between deco units. I tested the connection with both units standing next to each other.

So ethernet port on slave deco will work at this speed maximum. If the signal strength drops, the speed decreases further.

Options
2020-05-12 15:39:00
Ok, thank you for the information!
Options
2021-04-24 03:06:24

@Martimezcb 

Do you need to change any settings or configure IP addresses on your Yamaha speaker? Or slave deco?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you. 

Options
2021-04-24 03:07:38

@Xavier79 

What do you have to configure to get your NAS working on the slave deco?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Options
2021-04-24 08:49:24

@Solutions 

I didn't have to change anything. All connected DECOs operate in the same subnet, their IP addresses cannot be changed separately. The entire DECO network can be treated as a single router (Deco in router mode) or switch (Deco in AP mode). You can connect devices to it via Wi-Fi or any Ethernet port, and these ports are now scattered across the slave units, regardless of how they are connected to each other (wifi / cable)
Options