Deco P9s and Virgin Hub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-11 09:37:57
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, sorry another newbie trying to get the most out of their gear. And yes, I've looked back over a load of old threads on this community and others.....)

It's a big old house, with some thick walls. Most of it has a wired ethernet wiith mutliple switches. There are about 25 wired devices. Virgin hub works fine, but wifi is patchy (even with various extenders), so I bought a 3 pack of P9s. Fired them all up, with the master plugged into one of the wired switches, and everything works fine.

But being an old techie (with little networking experience...) I'm always looking for the "right" configuration, to get the best out of my gear.

So as I understand it, my Virgin hub is providing 3 basic functions, modem, router and wifi. Obviously the modem bit stays the same, and I've disabled the wifi channels, but I'm struggling with the router bit. Unhelpfully, the hub seems to have 2 main modes, Modem, and "everything", but the documentation suggests that Modem mode still has router capabilities. I tried it, and my wired stuff seemed to work, but the P9s didn't like it.

So, what's the current thinking about what mode to have the Virgin hub, and the P9s in to get the best performance.

Cheers

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9s and Virgin Hub 3.0
2020-05-11 12:02:12

@Stricko I have mine in modem mode and the p9 in router. 

when you say not working, can you give any more info ? 

Options
2020-05-11 12:27:39

Master p9 had red led. tried rebooting, but did the same. No WiFi network.

Options
2020-05-11 12:34:31
Try reset the Deco, little reset button at the back
Options
2020-05-11 13:04:56

@syn3rgy Thanks. I'll try it in a bit. The family is getting a bit fed up of me dropping the internet connection.... 

If a get it working, should i be connecting my wired devices to the hub or to the master p9?

Options
2020-05-11 15:20:34 - last edited 2020-05-11 15:21:30

My setup is as follows:

1) Virgin Home Hub (set to Mode Mode)

2) Eth connection from Virgin HH to Master Desco

3) 2nd Eth Port on Deco connects to my Switch which i have all my other devices connected too

When you reset your deco and start it boots up, it may take a second reboot a few minutes later as it can be a bit slow seeing the public IP that is provided by the ISP (virgin) well that was the case with mine and my friends, so if you still dont have "internet" connectivity, wait a few minutes and restart the master deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1296

Replies: 5

Related Articles