Can't use ethernet ports on Virgin Hub 3 with M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-14 08:05:08
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

I had a long chat message chat with Deco support yesterday, however they were not particularly great and could not solve my issue. They said I should speak to Apple!!

I connected my main M4 unit to my Virgin Hub a week ago.

I changed the Virgin Hub to "Enable Router Mode".

I set the M4 unit Operating Mode to "Access Point".

The WiFi around the house works beautifully.

However when I tried to connect my iMac or my Macbook using an ethernet cable from either the back of the Virgin Hub or the M4 I cannot get internet access.

A green light shows in the Network Preferences on either machine when it is connected meaning it is connected but I cannot connect to the internet or see other machines on the network.

Can anyone clearly explain what the best settings are for the M4 and the Virgin Hub so I can also connect via the router on the Virgin Hub?

I have seen some replies to a similar problem particularly from Kevin, however he mentions bridges and ISP settings which I do not fully follow and ideally I don't want to disappear down a rabbit hole trying to figure it all out. We are in lockdown with kids doing school work and my wife and I working from home almost 24/7. If the internet goes down for more than 15mins I will be thrown out of the house!

Many thanks for any help/support/guidance

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can't use ethernet ports on Virgin Hub 3 with M4
2020-05-14 11:05:37

@Billy_Ladd If you disconnect the M4, are you now able to connect the iMac to the outside world with the ethernet connection? If so, there is no problem with the VirginHub and the issue must be caused by the connection of the M4.

There are a lot of possible points to check. When you get a green light for the ethernet connection of the iMac, can you check the IP address of the iMac? Is it getting the same IP address range as other devices on the wifi?

Even though you think the M4 is working in Access point mode, are all devices on the same subnet? Once you've identified that everything is on the same subnet, you know that you don't havve clashing DHCP servers and you can move on to the next stage.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1873

Replies: 1

Related Articles