Deco setup with switch and different router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 12:38:18
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Everyone

I'm busy installing my Deco m9+ at my new house and have the following hardware:

- Nokia modem/wireless router connected to 100Mpbs fibre (this is company tied and cannot be removed)

- Deco m9+ (3 pack)

- 24 tp-link port switch to connect my wired house

I'm looking for the optimum setup and am putting forward the following scenarios:

1) Nokia (DCHP + NAT) -> cable -> switch -> cable to each Deco in AP mode

2) Nokia (modem only) -> cable -> Deco (router mode: DHCP + NAT) -> cable -> switch -> 2 other Deco's in AP

Questions:

A) A general question, if I connect all my deco's via ethernet backhaul is this the same as connecting various routers and setting the same SSID/passwords on them, or is there a benefit of the Deco m9+ mesh setup to a router setup? 

B) In scenario 1 I know I will lose some Deco router functionality (parental control, Qos, ..) but will the seamless connection between wireless points still work? and will the benefits/if any of (A) above still apply or would the Deco now function the same as a router combo.

C) In scenario 1 I will set the Nokia wireles router's SSID and password to be the same as the Deco's, is there any complications in doing this? I'm expecting the client disconnecting from Nokia and connecting to deco will be slower than the disconnect and connect between Deco's?

D) Scenario 2 will remove functionality from the Nokia and change it to a modem only. The setup will then be very similar to the 'star' setup in the Deco manual. I assume this setup will be fully functional as expected with the deco router functionality (parental control, Qos, ...) and the main drawback here is that the Nokia wireless router won't be usuable for anything else than just the model. Is it possible to somehow still use the wireless router functionality of the Nokia, ie switch of DCHP + NAT but leave SSID on? Not sure if this will work given that the Nokia now sits before the Deco (DHCP + NAT)

E) Any comments on whether (1) or (2) above is better, if not is there another setup that would be better.

Would appreciate you view and guidance!

Thanks

Christof

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco setup with switch and different router
2020-05-22 12:58:45

@Christof 

I am doing #1 without the cabling to the Deco M9+.  I went that route because QOS doesn't work on the Deco and I didn't like that the HomeCare functionality is Cloud based.  Compare the router performance / functionality of the Nokia and Deco and pick one.  Either scenario should work.

Options
Re:Deco setup with switch and different router
2020-05-24 09:27:55

@Ragar 

Thanks wil give it try.

Options