QoS on Archer AX50 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 21:05:23
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Just got this setup and updated the firmware. Exploring QoS seems to reveal the web interface entirely removed. I'm directed to use an iOS app. The QoS settings in this iOS app are limited, it seems, to a tickbox to categorize a device as "High Priority" (with no explanation), and the ability to drag-set priorites for "Gaming" or "Streaming". Again, with no specifics either about the settings or to control them.

My main question is: is this it? Can I not prioritize devices more specifically than into two categories ("High Priority" and... not)? Even the documentation on this subject within the manual for Archer (https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-ax50_v1/chapter-8-homecare#ug-sub-title-1) is simply omitted. An entire chapter is nothing but direction to download the app. The app has no documentation on any subject. So my second question is: what the hell? Is this a transitional period?

Options
1 Reply
Re:QoS on Archer AX50 Router
2020-08-08 04:52:11

@JDubs Real bummer no replies yet. Anyone dig in to the QoS capabilities of this thing?

I had come to a slightly satisified configuration, where I simply had one computer set as High Priority and this seemed to be working. But then a tornado hit my street and after all the power came back the same QoS settings do nothing. Setting the same IP as high priority has no effect. Other traffic will squash it.

I haven't been able to cause any change in behavior. QoS is clearly broken in this router. If you need usable QoS in a home router, look elsewhere. You will also be unable to find documentation or any effort on the part of support for TP-LINK to even acknowledge or think about the problem in a serious way. You can see this reflected in the quality of their documentation on the subject, and the design of the feature, both are embarrassingly poor.

It's always sad to see either incompetence or simple disrespect for customers. But it's all too common.

Options