Deco M4 - Great speed but a bunch of my devices can’t connect to it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-25 02:35:29
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1

I just purchased 3 Deco M4s from Amazon. Setting them up was a breeze (hardest part was putting my CODA 4582 into bridge mode) and I have consistent, fast wifi throughout my 100 year old house.

Devices that allow me to enter the SSID and password directly connect with no issues (laptops, Apple TV's, laptops, Chromebooks, iPhones, iPads, etc .,..).

The challenge is with my Google Home Speaker, Google Home Mini, Ring Doorbell and Google Chromecast. Anytime I want to connect a device where I need my iPhone or iPad (already connected to the mesh network) to connect to the device first and then have it connect to the Deco M4 network, it fails. In all cases, the device software that I'm using can see my Deco M4 network, validates the password but ultimately reports that it can't connect.

In most cases, the device has an entry in the "Offline" list in the Deco app, so I've tried blacklisting and un-blacklisting, connecting to guest network, trying 2.4ghz and 5ghz only, etc ... to no avail. The last thing I want to try is putting the Deco M4 into AP mode and seeing if that works (if it does, I'm willing to forego QOS, parental controls, etc ...) but it's late and I'm tired so will try tomorrow.

From reading through this forum, it sounds like others have similar issues and getting the myriad of devices that a typical consumer owns these days to all connect is an exercise in extreme patience. While I love the raw capability that I get on the majority of my devices, not being able to connect the Google devices + my Ring doorbell is going to be a deal breaker.

Anything I'm missing that folks can point out?

Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 - Great speed but a bunch of my devices can’t connect to it
2020-05-25 10:07:35

@416dad make one test, i don't know how is your wifi network name and password, but for unknow reason if you have any symbol in name or password you can have trouble. Just make a simple test. Set your network name to: mywifi (without spaces and symbols) and password to anything clean like 123pass123 just for testing... if you don't get more issues just pick one choice of clean name and password

Options
2020-05-26 01:45:00

@leogz appreciate the suggestion. Set my SSID to mywifi and password to 123pass123 and tried connecting my Google Home Speaker. Same result - not successful sad

Next suggestion?

Options
2020-05-26 14:04:33

@416dad I where unable to connect my Chromecast audio to my e4 mesh. I where finally able to connect after I powered off the satelite e4's and only had the main one powered. After connection I where able to power on the satelites and no issues since. Other threads with connection issues has suggested to turn off the 5G network and try with only 2.4G active.

Good luck!

Options
2020-05-26 15:08:30

@6b6561 thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 M4s so will unplug the satellite instances and just keep the main unit on and will attempt the re-add. I have tried turning off 5ghz to no avail, but will try that when I turn off the satellite instances. 

Options
2020-05-27 02:27:56

@6b6561 Unplugged all satellite M4s and tried adding the Google Home but it wasn't successful. 

Any more suggestions?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1313

Replies: 5