Using current router and P9 as a router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-31 09:41:15
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I recently purchased a P9 as I wanted to take advantage of the powerline function. Due to the limited ethernet ports on the deco I kept my original Virgin 2.0 hub in router mode and changed the main deco to an access point. So far so good. When I try and connect the second deco it appears to set up correctly, however I tried connecting the virgin TV box and smart TV to the second deco  via ethernet but neither work. I switched the deco to router mode and everything seems to be working ok.

So currently the set up I have is:

Virgin router - deco p9 as router - deco p9 #2

The reason I wantes to keep the virgin router in router mode rather than modem is that I have several devices that I want to stick to ethernet connectivity eg PS4, and some older devices. 

Can I keep this set up and then turn off the virgin router wifi? Will this affect other apps like netflix, Plex, fixed printers etc . Am I better off getting a switch but then I will need to get several in different areas. 

The deco p9's firmware is up to date.

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using current router and P9 as a router.
2020-07-28 16:02:14

@Wazjnx I have the same question, just about to set up new p9s with VM Superhub 3. 

Options
2020-08-21 21:44:12

@Wazjnx how did you get on? I've just built up a similar set up. Things were sticking a bit, then today TP-link support suggested I use the Deco app to switched the mesh to AP mode (access point) so the router can manage traffice solo and compete with the P9. Seems to have helped a lot and no need for a switch (I have three hubs and the master P9 attached to the router). 

Options
2020-08-22 07:24:36

@Donostio 

I hadn't heard back from tp link so I also tried it in AP mode which has been pretty good. The only downside is I have lost some of the extra functions eg prioritising that I would have had with the deco as a router. I guess it's a compromise and it works for now!

Donostio wrote

@Wazjnx how did you get on? I've just built up a similar set up. Things were sticking a bit, then today TP-link support suggested I use the Deco app to switched the mesh to AP mode (access point) so the router can manage traffice solo and compete with the P9. Seems to have helped a lot and no need for a switch (I have three hubs and the master P9 attached to the router). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 883

Replies: 3

Related Articles