Deco P9 Power Cable Length

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-01 00:37:46 - last edited 2020-06-16 23:35:28
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Hi! I have a desk that I would like to place one of the Deco P9 units on, but the closest outlet is a bit too far away from it. Is there anything special about the power cable the units come with, or could I replace it with a similar, longer cable? 
Any help is appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 Power Cable Length-Solution
2020-06-15 09:54:41 - last edited 2020-06-16 23:35:28

I purchased 3 different length white C7 UK plug cables (1m, 3m and 5m) from amazon UK, and all look to be working fine with the P9's.

I also had a few issues with the longer re-enforced C7 connector end of the cable with all of them. However I didn't need to modify the cable - for me it was enough to make sure cable was not cold (so more flexible), and then gently wiggling it into place until it was properly seated in the P9. I did notice there were a lot of C7 cables with a 90 degree moulding at the C7 end. That might be worth trying if the cable could wrap back under the P9...

Overall although early days I have been impressed so far. We have an old solid brick terrace house and even with Powerline/ WiFi boosters I struggled to get a good signal at the rear of the house with the hassle of different network SSIDs etc. Now I have a single WiFi network and get good coverage even in the back garden.

Hope the P9's stay reliable. The Devolo extenders I had before just seemed to die/malfunction after just over 2 years.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9 Power Cable Length
2020-06-12 10:18:55 - last edited 2020-06-16 23:35:25

I'm in the UK and have just purchased a 3 pack of the powerline P9 deco units and have the same question.

The UK power cables look to be standard fitment (3pin UK plug on one end and what looks to be a standard appliance C7 style 2 socket end at the other end that plugs straight into the P9 unit).

I suspect as long as a decent quality longer replacement cable is used the powerline capability should work as before. After all there is a lot of variability in the length of the wiring from the wall socket via the consumer unit to the other deco units  (from a powerline perspective). SO an extra metre or two on the power cable to the unit seems unlikely to affect the performance.

The cables are pretty reasonably priced, so I will try a 3m metre one on one of the units to see if this affects the performance and post back here.

If you look in the Deco mobile app on iOS and view the details of each non-master unit, it shows you how it is connecting back to its nearest unit. Usually for the P9 units it will show the dual wifi bands and signal strength for connection back to its nearest P9 unit. Also if it is using the powerline cabability you will see a "signal pulse icon" with PLC next to it.

I think this means the unit can connect back using both WiFi frequencies and the powerline connectivity. The web interface might give slightly more details on the state of the connection.

Would be interesting to hear from the TP Link team on the power cable though, and if there is anything special about it compared to normal C7 style power cables used for other home mains powered devices (assuming you use the same fused capacity in the plug).

Options
2020-06-15 09:12:30

@Raeine 

I bought a 3m cable from CPC-Farnell, specifically, this one:

cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe01056/lead-uk-plug-to-fig-8-c7-white/dp/PL13302

(can't post it as a proper link for some reason)

Only problem was that the C7 connector is a bit larger than that supplied by TP-Link, so I had to cut away (very carefully!) some of the strain relief before it would fit into the socket in the base of the P9.

Options
Re:Deco P9 Power Cable Length-Solution
2020-06-15 09:54:41 - last edited 2020-06-16 23:35:28

I purchased 3 different length white C7 UK plug cables (1m, 3m and 5m) from amazon UK, and all look to be working fine with the P9's.

I also had a few issues with the longer re-enforced C7 connector end of the cable with all of them. However I didn't need to modify the cable - for me it was enough to make sure cable was not cold (so more flexible), and then gently wiggling it into place until it was properly seated in the P9. I did notice there were a lot of C7 cables with a 90 degree moulding at the C7 end. That might be worth trying if the cable could wrap back under the P9...

Overall although early days I have been impressed so far. We have an old solid brick terrace house and even with Powerline/ WiFi boosters I struggled to get a good signal at the rear of the house with the hassle of different network SSIDs etc. Now I have a single WiFi network and get good coverage even in the back garden.

Hope the P9's stay reliable. The Devolo extenders I had before just seemed to die/malfunction after just over 2 years.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-06-17 15:52:40

@Chris_B got a link to the ones you purchased?

Options
2020-06-27 09:43:08

@timp78 - I posted a reply with the amazon uk links in it, but I don't think the forum software settings allow links as it hasn't appeared sadly?

Just choose any of the higher feedback rated uk plug C7 cables in the length you need and that should work. I used 2 different brands to get the lengths I needed and both worked without issue.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2318

Replies: 5

Related Articles