TL-PS310U: Single USB2.0 Port MFP & Storage Server Q: USB HD to google nest router on MAC network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-PS310U: Single USB2.0 Port MFP & Storage Server Q: USB HD to google nest router on MAC network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-03 08:46:24 - last edited 2020-06-06 10:39:27
Model: TL-PS310U  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have bought the TL-PS310U: Single USB2.0 Port MFP and Storage Server in an effort to bring my external HD wirelessly on to my home network (of macs) via my google nest router.

I was researching this as I was looking to resurrect my time machine backups & media server, as these options were lost when I upgraded from my Apple airport extreme to the google nest set up. Seeing the Nest router had a spare ethernet cable port & I saw this post https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/5230699?hl=en I thought it may be possible to use the TL-PS310U adaptor.

I set it up, changed the TL-PS310U's IP address so it wirelessly appears on my google nest network. So when browse to the setup via a web browser I can see it & adjust the settings & looking at it, the TL-PS310U can see the attached external HD. But I can't get the external HD to mount or navigate to it in the network. the setup is roughly like the one in the screenshot below.

So my question is, am I chasing the impossible & I should go and buy a proper NAS HD or is this possible to use this adaptor to get my HD to mount and be usable on my MAC's? I am quite basic in my networking skills & use of terminal.

Any assistance would be great, so I know if I should just close this book & find another option or not.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-PS310U: Single USB2.0 Port MFP & Storage Server Q: USB HD to google nest router on MAC network
2020-06-07 18:21:02

@ddebeaujeu 

Hello

I do not know how in MAC but for Windows systems after installing the software from https://www.tp-link.com/pl/support/download/tl-ps310u/#Utility, it is possible to mount the disk just through this soft in a very simple way. However, I would not recommend TL-PS310U for use as a "NAS" disk adapter, this solution will be very unprofitable. It is better to use a dedicated NAS with RJ45 or Wifi for this purpose.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1023

Replies: 1

Related Articles