Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
151 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?
2020-07-26 16:17:16

JimB11 wrote

@MB17 

I had that exact same problem in the past. It was caused by chaning the DNS provider in the router. For me, by default its pulling the Comcast DNS servers, I changed it to use I think Quad9 for DNS and frequently got the same results you indicated. After changing it back I almost never see the issue.

@JimB11 

Just to thank you for apparently pointing into the right direction. After your comment, I researched and ended up changing my Primary DNS to Google's Public DNS. Since then (about 6 hours) I have experienced no issues (knock, knock, knock). Yet I don't understand why, with the same ISP, same ISP's modem, this issue did not exist with previous reouters (2 of them), and appeared right away after turning the AX-6000 on for the first time.

Options
2020-07-26 18:09:49

@MB17 

I noticed the same thing with this router back before all the firmware nightmares. They likely leveraged a deprecated version of the dns client in their stack, something that does not fully support EDNS or something similar to that. It just proves to me I purchased the wrong product. I have not been using the tplink ax6000, I purchased a ASUS router that supports wrt, I figured even if ASUS messed it up I could use openwrt rather than ASUSwrt. If I could return this ax6000 I would.  I don't even use it except when I have time to mess around which is not often. Super bad support and I am guessing the thing is completely insecure as well. I may have one of the pen testers at work play around with it. Something tells me the results would be terrifying. 

Options
2020-07-27 14:54:47

I feel I need to add my experience here as it seems to be different. Like most of you, I saw immediate problems when I updated to the 1.1.0 firmware from June. In my case, it was that several of my smart home devices would no longer connect. Older Wemo devices were ok but my newer ones simply could not connect. Try to factory reset them and go through the Wifi setup again did not help. I also had problems with my Canon printer. I was able to connect it to the Wifi, but none of my PCs could access it. When the first beta 1.1.1 came out and people reported even more issues, I just skipped that one to wait it out. My probelms were annoying but did not stop me from working.

Finally when the 1.1.2 beta was released, people here seemed to have mixed results so I decided to give it a shot. All of my problems went away.

Keep in mind everyone that during this time, many of your ISPs are probably seeing unprecedented usage and may be having their own problems. Make sure you are really blaming the right people for your trouble and not just throwing it all on tp-link without justification. Please don;t take this the wrong way, I am not defending them, as they definitely put out bad firmware with 1.1.0. But for me, I saw issues with my ISP in the last few weeks, and also had a 5 year old cable-modem go bad. Those things were not related to the router. I am just saying make sure you trouble shoot and figure out where the problem is really coming from, becuase you can complain to tplink all day long and they won;t ever fix your ISP.

That said, I am moving ahead cautiously with the 1.1.2 beta right now, and I have not seen any problems in the approximately 1 week I have been running it. Good luck everyone!

Options
2020-07-27 14:56:40

I should add that I also restored factory settings before moving to the 1.1.2 beta, just to make sure I was starting from a clean slate. And I work full time from home for a major tech company, so I do use my connection extensively all day long.

Options
2020-07-27 16:15:47

@Ferral 

Your experience is very similar to mine. Almost all of my smart devices including newer Wemo plugs, Rachio irrigation controller, and even Apple TV were unable to connect to Wifi, iPhone connectivity frequently dropped, and wifi printer had constant connectivity issues. There were many other issues in addition to this, including VPN connection dropping frequently causing work productivity issues. My ISP is very solid and has been throughout COVID19 and I had absolutly no issues until upgrading to the firmware in question. All of the problem I've described, stated within minutes of the firmware upgrade and all were resolved after rolling back to firmware 1.0.6 (skipping 1.0.7) since this was the most stable for me. As for trying the beta firmware you described, I'm done testing anything for TP-Link. Going forward, I'll wait a few months before upgrading to new firmware while I monitor the boards for any issues like those we've been experiencing. I'm certainly not saying TP-Link is a horrible company but having worked in IT for years, I question their test procedures after releasing the firmware in question

Options
2020-07-31 12:05:28

@SteveMoz 

...just want to say thanks to SteveMoz and everyone that has been working with TP-Link and trying to get instructions on how to downgrade....I just wanted to add my voice that I followed the instructions provided by SteveMoz last night....and WOW - - I am now back on the older firmware...thank you so much all of you....

Options
2020-08-05 23:05:49

@MB17 

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

It's just work.

If someone finds it difficult to download the beta firmware, connect to an US VPN and you can download the file.

Options
2020-08-12 09:29:22
c est le probleme de tous qui ont archer ax 6000
Options
2020-08-15 20:37:28

well - - they released new firmware on 8/10/2020 - - no way I am installing it....anyone install it?  - - comments?

Options
2020-08-15 21:45:28

@DKJr yes, working great! Fixed the problem they created. Allowed me to change all setting back as they where such as auto channel and smart connect!

Options
Related Articles