Deco in Access Point Mode suddenly runs DHCP server and mess my local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-07 11:55:02
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hi,

I have a big problem with DECO M4 operating in Access Point Mode. It is configured and it works just fine until suddenly it becomes DHCP server propagating into my network IP range 192.168.68.0/24 network which causes probems. Simple router restart and Deco restart does not help. I do not even know what actualy helped to get my Deco return back to Access Point mode with static IP defined, but it was tedious process. Dear people at TP link, I know that you want to make simple and non problematic use of your devices among people, but it can cause big problems in situation like this. I would appreciate if you would offer us the solution via firmware update where this DHCP problem would not occur. Thank you ahead,

Jurco

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco in Access Point Mode suddenly runs DHCP server and mess my local network
2020-06-07 18:04:27

@Peterson-KE 

It seems to be a common issue with all the Deco. A so-called "Smart DHCP" feature that doesn't seem to work well at all. 

I don't get why we don't get an option to disable, in case of issues. Give it 2 options, On (mandatory for router), suposedly Smart DCHP and Off, and maybe this would go better.

This dumbing down of configuration options and just using apps it a really bad trend.

Options
Re:Deco in Access Point Mode suddenly runs DHCP server and mess my local network
2020-06-19 19:45:58

TP-Link: This is a serious flaw that needs correcting ASAP!

In AP mode, the Decos should NEVER start a DHCP instance. NEVER !

Your excuse of needing it for 'discoverability' between the mobile app and the units is bunk, ever heard of mDNS / Bonjour / ZeroConf? Use that!

This is endemic to your product line, people have been screaming for years about unwanted DHCP services popping up on networks and screwing up everything, your powerline extenders are a good example, and there are dozens of threads like these, with no resolution: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/106148?page=2

At a minimum, you need to provide a setting that allows anyone with an ounce of networking knowledge to disable your so-called 'Smart DHCP' permanently. Engineering-wise, this is like a few hours of effort, just do it.

We are OK with a requirement that devices in AP mode need to be connected to a network with a functioning DHCP. That's like expected for standalone APs.

Constantly breaking running networks with unwanted DHCP services is toxic

You are and will be losing sales, as I and others who recommend products to others will be telling customers to avoid your products due to this horrible flaw.

Options
2020-08-28 11:03:49

@Peterson-KE This seems to be happening in non Deco devices as well, it happens with my Archer C6 which is in AP mode as well. Really hope this can be fixed

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1062

Replies: 3