Need advice on best way to configure netwok - cable modem, Deco m5, lots of Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need advice on best way to configure netwok - cable modem, Deco m5, lots of Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-19 05:45:08
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello!

I live in a basement flat, as a result there is a very thick wall across the middle which stops almost all signal 

I have virgin 350 internet - as well as the three Deco boxes I have , I have a lot of Ethernet connections although happily they are all where the router and base deco is. There is also an ethernet cable that goes under the floor from where the router is to where the2nd Deco is. There is no phsyvual connection where the third Deco is.

What is the best way to configure this for the quickest results?

I have tried various combinations of turning the virgin humln into.modem only, allowing both the virgin hub and deco to give out DHCP and having the deco in access mode but I still seem to lose a lot of bandwidth esp between my pc in the bedroom and steam link in the living room

Would love to hear your thoughts - I cpild get another router if that might streamline it all.

Thanks

Ben 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Need advice on best way to configure netwok - cable modem, Deco m5, lots of Ethernet
2020-06-22 10:43:57

Benedictm wrote

Hello!

I live in a basement flat, as a result there is a very thick wall across the middle which stops almost all signal 

I have virgin 350 internet - as well as the three Deco boxes I have , I have a lot of Ethernet connections although happily they are all where the router and base deco is. There is also an ethernet cable that goes under the floor from where the router is to where the2nd Deco is. There is no phsyvual connection where the third Deco is.

What is the best way to configure this for the quickest results?

I have tried various combinations of turning the virgin humln into.modem only, allowing both the virgin hub and deco to give out DHCP and having the deco in access mode but I still seem to lose a lot of bandwidth esp between my pc in the bedroom and steam link in the living room

Would love to hear your thoughts - I cpild get another router if that might streamline it all.

Thanks

Ben 

@Benedictm It may sound silly, but can you draw a diagram of the flat layout, where the decos are and where the ethernet cables are at the moment? 

Options
Re:Need advice on best way to configure netwok - cable modem, Deco m5, lots of Ethernet
2020-06-22 13:16:31

@richpriest sure! ill knock one together and upload it

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 601

Replies: 2