Deco M9 port forward virtual machines

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-21 19:42:40
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.40 Build 20200324 Rel.51287

Hey guys

Just got a Deco M9 plus up and running.

I'm trying to setup port forwarding, but I'm having trouble with the setup.

I have a single PC with a few hyper-v servers.

The deco can't seem to differentiate between my physical PC and the VM's running on it.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks, Hadus

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 port forward virtual machines
2020-06-22 11:28:10

@hadus Are you using NAT in Hypervisor? You'll probably need to set it up so that they individually get an IP assignment from the M9 (if thats your DHCP server)

Options
2020-06-22 20:43:58 - last edited 2020-06-22 21:18:28

Hi there

@richpriest  I'm not using NAT. In hyper-V terms I'm using external network.

Each VM gets their own DHCP address, assigned from the DECO router.

In the Deco APP I can see the MAC and IP addresses are getting mixed up by the router.

My own PC - and the one running hyper-v's - has

IP: 192.168.1.101 and MAC: D0-37-45-11-ED-AE

However, in the DECO app it's IP is listed as 192.168.1.40. MAC address is listed correctly though.

It wasn't a problem with my older Asus router or a previous ubiquiti network, but the DECO can't seem to figure it out.

Can we get an update for this?

Added: two of the VM's have a fixed IP. Still on external network and still unable to see them in the deco App.

Options
2020-06-25 06:17:58 - last edited 2020-06-25 06:18:19

Should anyone be following, I've created a support ticket for this also.

Not heard anything yet though.

This seems like a giant oversight. Even tp-links own cheap-o' routers can tell the difference between virtual and physical machines.

For now, I've had to set the Deco M9s to just being AP's. In front of them I now have an Archer C2 router I had laying around. Despite being absolutely barebones, this router can differentiate VM's from physical pc's.

Options
2020-09-25 02:07:15

@hadus did you ever hear anything back on this? I am having the same issue. 

Options
2020-09-25 10:26:34

@mattmillen I'm afraid not.

Honestly I had quite forgotten about my support case. I haven't heard anything back from it, at all.

I never did get it to work over wifi.

I'm afraid I can't remember the details of it, but I found a few whitepapers from vmware and posts on reddit that made me stop trying.

So far I have two solutions:

1) connect via wire to a deco unit, setup static IP to the VMs MAC address and setup port forwarding

After that, I can disconnect the wire and change the MAC address of the VM to match the one from the wired connection. It then gets the correct IP and port forwards work. It's a pain though and although it worked, wasn't worth the effort.

2) connect via wire.

not what I had intended but, well, I now have one pc connected with wire so my VM's can operate.

Its not cool and it's not what I had in mind, but it works.

Good luck with it.

If you come with anything better I'd love to hear it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1107

Replies: 5

Related Articles