Deco only getting 730mb on a gigabyte network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 13:52:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Have virgin media gig network hub 4 in modem mode 

tests show 1100mb into the router

deco says connection speed no more than 750mb

connected with cat 6

Should I be getting nearer 1000mb

what does a 10/100/1000 port sustain in speed, as I've heard I may need a 2.5gb port, which then leads to the question 

the new x60 and x90

x60 just says gigabyte port where the x90 says 2.5gb port

and what is the m5 port specs

as I am thinking of upgrading to either the x60 or x90, but as they are not cheap dont want to spend our then have to upgrade again

cheers

ian

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco only getting 730mb on a gigabyte network
2020-06-28 23:03:17

@IanHarker How did you test / what did you use to test the Deco unit's speed?
The ports on Deco M5 are 1Gb, but keep in mind that wireless on 5GHz, the speed is 867mbps max.

So if you were wirelessly connected and performed a speedtest it is normal you wouldn't get 1Gbps.

Options
2020-06-29 07:19:12

@DenniSundaY hi using the deco app to perform a speedtest under more in router settings called test internet speed, I presume this should be the port connected to the router in modem mode, all test are wired with cat6 cable

Options
2020-06-29 11:06:28

@IanHarker I forgot about the build in Speedtest, and that indeed tests your connection. My bad!

You already mentioned that the router (not deco) itself does give 1Gbps, so that's strange indeed. I can't find more info about it because not so many people have gigabit internet connections to their homes. 
Are your deco's set up as router or access point? When in AP mode, some features are disabled which may improve performance.

Options
2020-06-29 11:36:17

@DenniSundaY Hi they are setup as router, i think the speedtest in the deco is being CPU bound in the deco itself as i can get some cat6 laptops to show approx 900mb from within the intranet, which is going through the deco m5, so i think the deco is showing the wrong results

I know that speedtest can give false info in a browser if your cpu isoor, so i think speedtest need to change their software or tp-link need to use something else like samknows or fast.com, as time goes on more and more will be getting gigabtye networks

Options
2020-06-29 11:53:59
That’s good to hear! Yeah I think the entire way it calculates speed isn’t correct, when I’m downloading something for example, my MacBook shows different transfer speeds than the deco app displays. Also it mostly doesn’t give speeds for intranet transfers (backing up to NAS) and shows 0mbps, but lately it sometimes does show speeds all of a sudden. Can’t put my finger on it...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1420

Replies: 5