Bandwidth control vs VoIP -- and other minor issues (Archer C20 v4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 16:24:57 - last edited 2020-06-28 16:26:18
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0348.0 Build 190103 Rel.53059n

I have a few problems with my Archer C20 v4.

• In the "System Tools" menu, the System Log and Statistics page are completely empty.  In other words, there's no way to get any logs or statistics with this router, as if these two features were never implemented or were removed.  That's a bummer as great statitics are very useful when managing a home network.  Not a show stopper by any mean, but looks like an unfinished product.

• Much more important: This router has no "real" QoS feature?  All I can find is "Bandwidth Control".  My goal is to give priority to the VoIP SIP data on the network over everything else. My VoIP goes through an ATA, so I tried the Bandwidth Control options with two rules : one high-priority rule for my ATA IP and one low-priority rule for all other IP addresses.  However, when my main computer is streaming or torrenting at full speed, my ATA is starving and voice quality drops.  So I reduced the total egress/ingress bandwidth even more hoping that it would resolve the issue (down to 75% of total bandwidth), but I keep geting important (sporadic) VoIP glitches. there's also a limit of total bandwidth I'm ready to lose for a 100kbps VoIP service.  With DD-WRT (on another router), I use the QoS feature and I get much better result without having to sacrifice a lot of bandwidth.  

• I also need to run VoIP SIP client on other computers on my network.  I would need a rule to prioritize all SIP traffic coming from/to my computers as opposed to 100% of all traffic type.  I don't find any ways with this router to prioritize based on type of traffic.  Am  I missing something?   Surely, VoIP is not esoteric and many houshold are using it, so I would expect such router to have a way to support it?

So, .. .is there a way to make VoIP work with this router that I don't know about?  I understand the Archer C20 is an entry level router, so maybe higher-end TP-Link routers have better options -- any other model to suggest?

Thanks,

Jo.

P.S. My Archer C20 v4 (US version) router is updated to the latest firmware (0.9.1 4.16 v0348.0 Build 190103 Rel.53059n)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 573

Replies: 0

Related Articles