Slow Wi-Fi Speed on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-30 07:28:07
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Hi,

I bought a Deco M4 2 units pack few days ago and while it´s allowing me to reach the "shadow zones" of my apartment, it´s not going as expected in terms of speed.

My ISP is providing me with a 600/100 fiber speed and I have several issues.

1. The DECO unit connected directly to the router (right next to it) provides full 600/100 when devices are connected to it via ethernet cable but goes down to 400/100 when devices are connected via wifi right next to it. This may be ok, but still.. 200mb loss right next to the unit.

2. The other DECO unit, the slave one, is in the other extreme corner of the house (it´s a normal apartment 80m2 and 2 walls between the router/main deco unit and the slave one).

This unit will allow me to go only up to 200/80 in the good days with an average of 150/50. 

Considering that I bought it mainly to connect my laptop (with really bad wifi card) to the slave deco via ethernet cable and get a decent internet speed I may be happy.. but other tests show me that, using my mobile phone, I get 230/100 if connected directly to the 5G network of the ISP router and 150/50 when connected to the slave router (same room, device and conditions).

The DECOs are in ROUTER mode (I also tested the ACCESS POINT with no improvement)

The QoS is set up to the ISP allowed speed (600/100) and I tried to give high priority to some devices with only slight improvements on the download speed.

I also tried to set up different speeds in the QoS section.

I also tried to move the slave deco in other rooms of the house, with no luck.

Speed is way better than with a normal powerline (I tried TP-LINK powerlines and got only 70mb in download in good days) but how can I improve the WiFi speed using the slave deco?

I bought it to increase coverage and speed but sometimes the WiFi signal coming from the ISP router is even better than the one coming from the slave unit.

Thanks for your help!

paolonata

Options
9 Reply
Re:Slow Wi-Fi Speed on Deco M4
2020-07-12 21:13:48

@paolonata hello paolo!

i have the same issue here as you handle!! i have a 3 pack M4 unit (one master deco and 2 others slaves) with a fiber provider of 400/200 speed and barely i can get 300/180 or mostly a regular 250/150 via WIFI, with an ethernet cable i dont have issues i go the 400 speed, im starting to get annoy since im losing 200 fiber speed using wifi

I saw several post about this and i cant get a solution! seems the product it´s allowing to reach the "shadow zones" as they promisse but regarding the speed its a TOTAL FAIL RESULT.

Hope someone can help us with a solutions, otherwise the product will be a disspointing satisfaction.

Rick

Options
2020-12-23 22:55:04

@paolonata I am having similar issues. I pay for 400+ download and upload around 20. The M4 does aid to get signal to the two bedrooms in which I am having trouble but the M4 network drops my overall speeds by at least 100mps or more. Hope someone smart can aid or I am taking this lemon mesh system back. Should be no loss of MPS. Frustrated. 

David

paolonata wrote

Hi,

I bought a Deco M4 2 units pack few days ago and while it´s allowing me to reach the "shadow zones" of my apartment, it´s not going as expected in terms of speed.

My ISP is providing me with a 600/100 fiber speed and I have several issues.

1. The DECO unit connected directly to the router (right next to it) provides full 600/100 when devices are connected to it via ethernet cable but goes down to 400/100 when devices are connected via wifi right next to it. This may be ok, but still.. 200mb loss right next to the unit.

2. The other DECO unit, the slave one, is in the other extreme corner of the house (it´s a normal apartment 80m2 and 2 walls between the router/main deco unit and the slave one).

This unit will allow me to go only up to 200/80 in the good days with an average of 150/50. 

Considering that I bought it mainly to connect my laptop (with really bad wifi card) to the slave deco via ethernet cable and get a decent internet speed I may be happy.. but other tests show me that, using my mobile phone, I get 230/100 if connected directly to the 5G network of the ISP router and 150/50 when connected to the slave router (same room, device and conditions).

The DECOs are in ROUTER mode (I also tested the ACCESS POINT with no improvement)

The QoS is set up to the ISP allowed speed (600/100) and I tried to give high priority to some devices with only slight improvements on the download speed.

I also tried to set up different speeds in the QoS section.

I also tried to move the slave deco in other rooms of the house, with no luck.

Speed is way better than with a normal powerline (I tried TP-LINK powerlines and got only 70mb in download in good days) but how can I improve the WiFi speed using the slave deco?

I bought it to increase coverage and speed but sometimes the WiFi signal coming from the ISP router is even better than the one coming from the slave unit.

Thanks for your help!

paolonata

Options
2021-01-07 20:02:54

@DavidDub any solution to this as have same issue but what. My ISP provided me with 1gbps and was getting up to 800mbps from ISP modem by deco M4 has solved for whole home WiFi signal but only get max around 50mbps per M4 unit on WiFi???

Options
2021-01-07 20:43:33

@tonymcgra Same here, i have 1000mbps download from my fiber provider, the Deco shows downlaod speed of 900 but when i test on my laptop it only reaches 120 on a good day....wtf is going on?

Options
2021-01-08 13:26:24

@tonymcgra 

There is no much you can do! you will never get the same speed using WIFI as you handle with a cable connection. As well seems this DECO units lose around 20% - 30% capacity of your 100% internet bandtwith

So what, result dissapoint but in the other hand are a very stable connection with almost no fails in terms of wifi quuality

Regards

Rick

Options
2021-01-08 13:26:44

@MikkelDK 

There is no much you can do! you will never get the same speed using WIFI as you handle with a cable connection. As well seems this DECO units lose around 20% - 30% capacity of your 100% internet bandtwith

So what, result dissapoint but in the other hand are a very stable connection with almost no fails in terms of wifi quuality

Regards

Rick

Options
2021-01-08 14:21:06

RickWenzel wrote

@MikkelDK 

Regards

Rick

@RickWenzel @tonymcgra  @DavidDub @MikkelDK and anyone else suffering this trouble, I agree with Tony and I say that this is how this device works. 

My deco is in its box waiting for being sent back. 

I needed a mesh but I needed a good performance mesh. I'm not going to sacrifice speed because the wifi range is bigger. 

I have an Ethernet cable that I will use for improving my nowadays infrastructure. 

Good luck 

Options
2021-02-10 06:44:11

@paolonata 

I'm also experiencing this one. Once I'm connected to Slave (Satellite) Deco, My connection is way lower than the main deco. My slave deco is connected via LAN Cat 6 Cable to main deco so by theory speed should not drastically affected.

I'm hoping someone from TP Link will saw this one.

Options
2021-02-26 04:54:46

@paolonata I have same problem only now I cannot even get my 1gb via ethernet on my Deco M4. I am lucky to get 250mb. If I set the Deco as an AP and let my AT&T modem do DHCP I get 900mb on ethernet. If I use my old latest model Apple Time Capsule, I get 900mb but never get more than 250mb on the Deco. I tried support but they just gave me the run around. They want me to make one of the secondaries the new main but doubt that will help. I am seriously thinking of replacing these with the new Netgear Nighthawk WiFi 6 mesh. These units seem to be junk. Mine has never given me more than 150mb on WiFi unless I set a device to high priority in QOS but then it only does up to 300mb max.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3507

Replies: 9

Related Articles