Deco app speed test is garbage - don't believe it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-01 22:01:36 - last edited 2020-07-03 03:24:21
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12 build 201910140 rel 42025

The Deco Mp Plus isn't listed as an available choice in the MODEL NUMBER field, but that's what I have. I had to select something, but the selection is bogus. I have only Deco M9 Plus units. I have been using 3 Deco M9 Plus v1.8 since November, 2019. The absolute top speed has never equaled the Netgear Nighthawk they replaced, but close enough to suit me for the more even coverage throughout our two-level detached house. I was able to get a top speed on my Galaxy Note 10 Plus of 324mbps routinely (DL) with an upload of 12mbps capped by Xfinity. Good enough. I routinely connect 45-50 devices, couple of phones, couple of laptops, couple of desktops, a bunch of Amazon Echo devices, some cameras, Ring alarm, some TP-link switches, some WeMo switches, couple of TVs, etc. I have been unable to get a strong enough signal at the extreme preiphery of the house to service Wyze and Arlo cameras. I decided to try adding 3 more Decos M9 Plus at the periphery to see if that would do it. My existing 3 are V1.8 hardware, and the new ones I received from Costco are V2. All installed without a hitch. But when I ran the speed test included in the Deco app, I almost fell over...the maximum DL had dropped from 324mbps to 65mbps regardless of which module I was nearest, old or new. I rebooted everything a couple of times, but never improved these terrible DL speeds. I was getting Ethernet to one of my laptops at 290mbps, so it's not the provider (Xfinity.) I was about to box the three new units back up to return to Costco when I thought to check speed to my phone using the Android version of the Ookla speed test app, and my DL speed registered over 200mbps. Going back to the speed test inside the Deco app, back down to 65mbps. So, the point is, the speed test function inside the deco app is garbage. Use an Ookla app, see the differences. I'm still not thrilled at +200mbps considering that I was getting 324mbps before adding the additional 3 Deco M9 Plus V2s, but I'm going to wait a couple of days before decideding to return the additional 3 Deco M9 Plus units to give me time to experiment with my Arlo and Wyze cams to see if the additional mesh coverage has made a difference in connection stability and streaming quality. This is provided for people who are seeing very slow speed tests using the Deco app tool. But if anyone can explain my 6 Deco M9 Plus provide lower speed overall than 3, I would love to know!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco app speed test is garbage - don't believe it.-Solution
2020-07-02 08:20:44 - last edited 2020-07-03 03:24:21

@Mikestjames I have 3x Deco M9+ V2 with version 1.2.11 firmware from 20190926, I have not performed any upgrade to the latest FW that was "sort of released" recently, because it is not available from the Norwegian TP-link site, nor in the Deco App. I still get the good performance and it seems stable with the old FW. The Deco App speed test has worked ok here.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco app speed test is garbage - don't believe it.
2020-07-02 04:56:36

@Mikestjames I have 500/500 fiber and the speed test in the Deco App shows exactly that. I also get the same for speedtest.net via ethernet. So I guess something else is going on in your system.

Options
2020-07-02 06:40:28

@cacb, how many M9+ are you using in your mesh? Are all of them same hardware version? I have 3 (initial purchase) V1.8, and the 3 new ones are V2. There are other missing features in the app for the V2 hardware, such as not being able to see which devices are connected to each V2 module. My overall mesh speed is degraded about 30% from 300mbps to about 200mbps after installing the 3 new V2 modules, according to Ookla's Android speed test. I can't ever get the Deco app to show over 65mbps standing in the same place as the Ookla app, even 3ft away from a given module. 😒

Options
Re:Deco app speed test is garbage - don't believe it.-Solution
2020-07-02 08:20:44 - last edited 2020-07-03 03:24:21

@Mikestjames I have 3x Deco M9+ V2 with version 1.2.11 firmware from 20190926, I have not performed any upgrade to the latest FW that was "sort of released" recently, because it is not available from the Norwegian TP-link site, nor in the Deco App. I still get the good performance and it seems stable with the old FW. The Deco App speed test has worked ok here.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-02 08:43:16
Thanks... I appreciate the information.
Options
2022-01-27 19:34:17

@Mikestjames 

I have three M4s and exactly same experience with the Deco speed test vs Ookla Speedtest..

My band is unfortunately limited to 50Mbps, and when using the Ookla ST I get around 48Mbps which is great under the limit I have.. However in the Deco ST I weirdly get around 22Mbps or sometimes way less than that which sucks..

I saw someone online saying that the Deco app test might be performing on the 2.4Ghz while the Ookla on the 5Ghz, so I disabled the 2.4Ghz and ran the two tests again (on the same device) - nothing changed...

I also tested with or without the 1.1.1.1 DNS I had - again as before.. 

It used to be accurate for me, and now it's not, I have no idea why.. I recently turned on the Fast Roaming feature on the deco app and it boosted the performance of my WiFi as well as the score on the Ookla ST, so maybe that has anything to do with that IDK why it should but maybe..

Anyway - just letting you know you're not alone with this issue, and it might be a bug on tp-link's end with their Deco app.. Who knows.. Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1343

Replies: 5