connecting Deco M9 wireless and wired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-10 18:17:00
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My question i have connected my main deco directly to my modem with ethernet.  Then i ran ethernet to a switch.  can i run ethernet to a second Deco and still connect a 3rd or 4th or more Decos via Wifi or do they all have to be wired if the second one is?  Will this affect performance?  I have ethernet in the house but i have a detached garage that i need better signal in and i don't have a way to get ethernet there.  The system worked great when i used it with my last ISP because it had more ethernet ports available but this modem only has one so i have to go from the Deco to a switch and where i want to put my second Deco is just out of range of the unit.  it is strange now i only have 2 units connected the main one and the one all of the way out in the detached garage and it seems to work so far so not sure if i want to connect some with ethernet or just possibly repossition the units in the hose and possibly add a unit or two.  Any thoughts?

Options
1 Reply
Re:connecting Deco M9 wireless and wired
2020-07-11 06:49:53 - last edited 2020-07-11 06:56:57

@stumpy2384 No problem using a switch, I do just that myself. See attached image of my setup. Just make sure to use a Gbit switch, I had some old switches I used before but I bought a new inexpensive TP-link Gbit switch for the Deco setup and it works great. Also make sure to use only CAT5e or CAT6 cables, I rewired my cabling to CAT6 and easily measure 500/500 Mbit/s through the switch and 20m CAT6 cable to the Deco in the other end. My internet connection is 500/500 fibre so that means no loss at all through the cables and switch. I also have one Deco M9+ in the basement which is connected wirelessly, it works just fine relaying streaming TV to a chromecast device. You can freely mix wired and wireless Deco M9+ units in the mesh, just add them all wirelessly and then hook up CAT5e or CAT6 cables to the wired units.

I also have a detached garage outside the wall where the most remote Deco M9+ is (at the end of the 20m CAT6 cable) and I measure 500 Mbit/s wirelessly on my Iphone8 in the garage. I really have no need for internet in the garage at the moment, but it is nice to know. If I measure with other devices the speeds are slower (maybe ~200-300 Mbit/s), but in my mind that is more than enough. Usually I find the wifi speed is limited by the wifi network card on my laptop or other wifi device, only the Iphone shows top WiFi performance (I don't need that kind of speed on the Iphone though). Cabled connection is always the best if you have the option.

In the image below, the blue lines are CAT6 ethernet cables, green is HDMI cable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2921

Replies: 1

Related Articles