Resolving local PC names on non-windows devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-31 07:58:10
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120820

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120820

ISP : BT Infinity

I am running a Windows Home Server machine called "mserver" that has an IP address supplied via DHCP.
There is also a local webserver running on port 8089 that I use to access media from several devices (Android Phone, Blackberry Playbook & HP Touchpad...i.e. not Microsoft).
When I had the BT Homehub3 in use I could access the webserver via http://mserver:8089 and it would be loaded on all devices.
With the WDR3600 used in place of the Homehub3 it cannot resolve mserver into a local IP address on a non windows device. I can access it via http://192.168.0.xxx:8089 so the route is there.
Does the WDR3600 have any local DNS resolution? I repeat the BT HomeHub3 CAN do this, so why can't the TP-LINK?

Cheers

Mike

P.S. I have tried :-
Disabling hardware NAT
Turning off UPNP & Port Forwarding
Restoring to factory default
Disabling all ALG's in security
Options
3 Reply
Re:Resolving local PC names on non-windows devices
2013-01-31 20:33:58
I think most (all?) routers are using a DNS forwarder (with some caching). For local DNS it depends stronlgly on the DHCP server. If you are running a Home Server you probably would like to use the DNS service on this server for name resolving. Therefor make sure that de Home Server (is it running a DNS service?) is the only DNS server within your DHCP scope.
Options
2013-02-01 09:04:08
If WAN IP on TL-WDR4300 is 192.168.1.*, you need to open port 8089 for your mserver's IP on tp router. Besides, you need to open port 8089 for tp router's WAN IP on your BT router.
Or plug your BT router to LAN port of TL-WDR4300 and disable DHCP for a try.
Options
2013-02-10 02:39:24
I think the OP asks if the TP-Link DHCP server adds the hostname of the unit getting a DHCP lease (to the dnsproxy) , and it's my impression that it does not. I'm figthing iPhone sync via WiFi ... It worked on my WRT54G w. DD-WRT , but i can't seem to get it to work on the TP-Link.

I wish i bought a Linksys or Belkin , TP-Link is the most "silent" manufactor i have ever seen ... As in "doesn't care" about the users.

Ie. @21-jan i asked if the new 1225 firmware supported all 4300 hw. revs
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?1944-firmware-problem-wdr4300-v1&p=4751&viewfull=1#post4751
And no ansver yet ....

Even Netgear was more active (though quite incapable).

This will absolutely be my last TP-Link purchase , unless DD-WRT is fully (non beta) supporting the hardware (witch i forgot to investigate)

Btw: Rumours are that Cisco sold Linksys to Belkin (But Belkin is quite nice)

/Bingo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 775

Replies: 3

Related Articles