What's the general consensus on TP-Link routers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-16 13:19:18
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Somewhere on reddit I saw a link to their simple no frills router that costs like $20 and plenty of people saying they use that as the router and then have an external wireless access point. My modem/router is already in a central location so that's not necessarily an option I need but I did notice they have wireless routers too. I'm just wondering how they compare to ASUS given any model you look at is half the cost of its Asus counterpart. Should I get tp-link or just go with ASUS.

Options
2 Reply
Re:What's the general consensus on TP-Link routers?
2020-07-16 16:30:58

@warmachine2 

Considering there is pretty much zero technical support from TP-Link I would say to go with ASUS... I certainly wish I had for the current router I have a problem with, as ASUS has such a simple way of setting up Parental Controls, the same with TP-LINK are virtually impossible for me to get to work (and it really should be so simple).

I´ve been trying to resolve a (simple) problem for a week. Email Customer Support do not read emails properly and send me round in circles and no one at all is responding to my forum posts. Really is ridiculous from a company like TP-LINK. 

I´ve got loads of TP-LINK equipment, routers, wifi plugs, wifi bulbs, ethernet adaptors - In truth, when it works the TP-Link stuff is good but when it doesn´t, you can sadly forget getting tech support. I´m not going to buy TP-LINK again based on this troublesome router.

Options
Re:What's the general consensus on TP-Link routers?
2020-07-16 18:36:49

@Forlujo 

The Hardware is relative good, Firmware is bad. period. 

It gets worse on new versions also. They cannot make reliable firmware. When available, alternative firmware is always better, but harder to config.I run for years old tplink routers with dd-wrt. I do the mistake of wanting to buy a new multiband router (c7)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 492

Replies: 2

Related Articles