Connection issue and Mesh query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-24 15:39:57
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

So just purchased 3 Deco's and set them up to discover that the Deco furthest from the main Deco is connecting to the main despite the signal being really poor even though there is a Deco in the middle that is should connect to.  I gave searched the internet and can see posts from last year with TP-Link acknowledging this issue and saying there is no way to force this etc but I can't see anywhere if this is a feature that is being developed and what the roadmap is otherwise I might as well sell these and avoid using them as they are useless as a Mesh system! Could someone ftom TP-Link confirm the official position?

Also why has the toggle option for Mesh been removed in the latest firmware? I just a question mark next to Mesh with no option to turn this off/on. Strangely turning off Fast Roaming did force the Deco to connect to the middle unit once but I can't get this to do it again even after 2 hours of trying everything!?

Thanks

Neil

Options
6 Reply
Re:Connection issue and Mesh query
2020-07-24 16:05:36

So I can now see that the mesh option is specific to a connecting client and not the system as a whole.

I think I may have also of found a work around to force the furthest Deco to connect to the middle and not the main Deco. By sending ping requests to the main deco from 2 different devices when I restarted the furthest Deco it automatically selected the other one.

Would still appreciate TP-Link confirming if a feature to manage this is in development or not and what the roadmap is please?

I just don't understand why you use ping to establish which device to connect to rather than signal as this negates the purpose of a mesh system!

Options
2020-07-26 09:14:20

Hi @o0nAw0o 

I posted a similar question, but no answers.

My farthest Deco is connected to the main with poor connectivity, while my other Deco, in the midldle between the other two, has got a very good signal.

I am not sure I got you workaround: did you ping from a device connected to the farthest? Can you please be so kind and give me some more details?

Many thanks

Massimo

Options
2020-07-26 12:19:43

@o0nAw0o 

I have the same problem with a brand new 3-set of x-20´s.

Main in the basement, and one on each other floor.

This is total crap and has nothing to do with a mesh system.

I really hope there is a solution

/Flexter

Options
2020-07-28 23:23:56

@o0nAw0o, @Flexter 

something happened, unexpected.

My son switched off my 3rd device by accident and since restarted, it is magically connected to the closest one, the 2nd (and not the main, the farthest)

So it seems the some "mesh" rule applied, finally.

Options
2020-07-31 21:58:33

@Massimo_Italy 

I set a ping to the main Deco from a laptop on the same wireless network (not on the same Deco that you want to restart). Whilst the ping -t is running reboot the Deco and it should go to the other Deco as the 1st is responding to a ping request. Apparently ping is how each Devo decides which to connect to. This seems to work everytime in AP mode.

Hope that helps. 

I am going to try fixing my mobile to the main deco and downloading an app to do this from there.

Options
2020-08-07 13:42:25

Thank you @o0nAw0o 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 704

Replies: 6

Related Articles