Offline install/configure for Deco P9?? GPS mandator?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-25 00:21:22 - last edited 2020-07-25 00:25:12
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8

I install mesh WiFi systems in various client homes and businesses. Currently using Ubiquiti as my flagship product. I'd like to give TP-Link a shot, but I'm running into some obstacles:

1. I'd like to be able to configure and firmwareupgrade these units before bringing them to clients.  Unless I'm missing something, I HAVE to have Internet connection just to do a basic setup. Surely there must be a work-around for this? I have neither the time nor the inclination to bring these units to another location so I can hard-wire them to a router just to configure them. 

2. Must my personal Android account be used to configure these things? I'd rather not, so I've created a dedicated GMail account. But a web configuration would be ideal! I heard the M5 and M9 could be configured with a browser, but unless I'm missing something, that's not an option for the P9. Android/IOS is mandatory. Please tell me that I'm missing something and there's another way to configure these things. 

3. Can someone please tell me why GPS is required to configure these things???? My clients need WiFi, not BigBrother knowing their network's LAT/LONG.

4. If I configure P9s for various locations, will these units all be tied to my one Gmail account and think they somehow need to talk to each other? Or will the client be unable to configure these units without attaching their personal GMail account to the configuration? If so, this looks like a deal-killer. Most of my clients have *NO* interest in configuring their equipment. They just want it to work. And I see precious little reason for configuring their designated employee's phone, since their staff might change - and take the login with them. 

Having Powerline built into these units is a dream come true for ease of configuration. But the preliminary requirements are a HUGE put-off, and possibly a deal-killer.

Is there a different product I need to use that will allow web configuration without attaching my personal GPS LAT/LONG and Gmail account to the configuration?

Thanks.

TIM

Options
2 Reply
Re:Offline install/configure for Deco P9?? GPS mandator?
2020-07-25 08:08:23

@TIM-F don't think the P9 is the product you want to be using for this, it's not an enterprise solution.

Set up is done via the phone app and each network needs a TP Link account associated with it.

Options
Re:Offline install/configure for Deco P9?? GPS mandator?
2020-07-25 16:27:44

@timp78 Thanks. Is there a TPLink product that would fit the bill?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 630

Replies: 2