Archer T4U: how do you change the 5GHz band region?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-02 13:34:25 - last edited 2020-08-26 06:54:32
Model: Archer T4U  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

My laptop built-in wifi card died while I was on business trip to South Korea.

To ensure good compatibility and support, I specifically purchased a TP-Link product which is sold worldwide:

• Archer T4U AC1300 MU-MIMO
  • Version 3.0 (shown next to the S/N)
  • Windows 10 version 1909, driver version: 1030.22.202.2018

I am now in Europe and realized that this adapter does not see some 5GHz networks because it seems restricted to the Korean authorized bands.

The funny points of the story:

1-There is no such thing as "Korean" driver.  It is the same driver as the European or US version.  I checked all the local TP-Link websites accordingly.

2-The TP-Link adapter is duly 'CE' certified along with additional 'FCC' and 'EAC' markings.  Clearly not a product developped specifically for a local market, the very reason for which I purchased it.

3-There is no option in the adapter driver advanced properties to change the 5GHz region as for other TP-Link USB adapters.

4-I changed the region of my Windows 10 to different Euopean countries but to no avail

5-I reinstalled the TP-Link driver from scratch several times to "trigger" identification of my location.  No success either.

6-I changed the 'Wireless Mode' in the adapter options (auto, ac only, a / n / ac, etc..) but this did not help.

At the moment, I rely on my luck that the wifi router I am allowed to connect (e.g. hotel, 3rd party company,...) is in the 5Ghz bands authorized in Korea.

Question:

How do I change the parameters of my Archer T4U to comply with the European 5GHz bands?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer T4U: how do you change the 5GHz band region?
2020-08-03 10:04:42

@Mike_T 

Hi Kathy,

1-My Archer T4U shows the following certification numbers::

FCC ID:TE7T4UV3    written on the main TP-Link label

IC8853A-T4U for indoor use only     written on the main TP-Link label

KCC R-CRM-TPN-ArcherT4UKR      written on an additional silver color sticker

CE, EAC EOHS, RCM (number 5734)

2-I am no expert in 5GHz bands, however relying on the listing of the freeware 'Wifi Analyser" available on the Microsoft Store (courtesy Matt Haffner):

Region set: Europe:  Channels 32-68  96-144  149-173

Region set: Korea:  Channels  36-64   100-128  149-165

Region set: USA:  Channels   36-68   96-144  149-165

What is killing me, is the fact that the TP-Link adapter claims compliance with the US standards (FCC) but is actually sticking to the narrower Korean bands.

This is an wireless adapter, the channels used are solely controlled by the wifi router which is outside of my sphere of control.

Where I am currently, the router is a proprietary device from a ISP locked on the European channels.

It will choose the 'best fit' channel, based on the surrounding channels to avoid any overlap.

So again, I rely on my luck that the wifi router picks up a channel with the narrow Korean band.

Regards,

Mike

Options
Re:Archer T4U: how do you change the 5GHz band region?
2020-08-03 10:19:28

@Mike_T 

Least but not last, a photo.

Thanks to the camera resolution, I noticed that TP-Link claims that this is a US version, written next to the Serial Number (I can provide you this number under separate email if you wish)...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2306

Replies: 3