M4 setup in AP mode in star scheme ethernet backhaul behind a failover router and two modem + router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M4 setup in AP mode in star scheme ethernet backhaul behind a failover router and two modem + router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-08 20:35:53
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My current home network setup is:

2 different internet providers with respective modem+router  --> connected to router (for failover) --> switch --> 5 different ethernet hubs in the home (ethernet wired the home)

I want to use an M4 set of three devices to have a seamless wireless connection in the home. 

My approach (please validate):

2 different internet providers with respective modem+router  --> connected to router (for failover) --> M4 primary (in AP mode) --> switch --> 5 different ethernet hubs in the home (2 hubs are now secondary/slave deco devices in AP mode)

if above is correct, do I still first setup the master Deco device as router first and then set up slave devices; and then change the master Deco device to run in AP mode.  Also, please let me know of any pitfalls in this process. 

Thank you for your help. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:M4 setup in AP mode in star scheme ethernet backhaul behind a failover router and two modem + router
2020-08-09 04:01:27

@amit338 I think, you don't need to configure M4 as router initially. AP mode for the first Deco and then connect another Decos... Your configuration is possible, but if you connect the first Deco between you router and other wired devices of your home, then all traffic, wired or wireless will go through your first Deco. What for? Instead, connect your first Deco to the first switch if it's possible. Then resources of the Decos will be used only for wireless traffic....

Options
Re:M4 setup in AP mode in star scheme ethernet backhaul behind a failover router and two modem + router
2020-08-09 14:54:38

RedRoger wrote

@amit338 I think, you don't need to configure M4 as router initially. AP mode for the first Deco and then connect another Decos... Your configuration is possible, but if you connect the first Deco between you router and other wired devices of your home, then all traffic, wired or wireless will go through your first Deco. What for? Instead, connect your first Deco to the first switch if it's possible. Then resources of the Decos will be used only for wireless traffic....

@RedRoger thank you for your suggestion. Valid point. Based on your input the revised setup:

2 different internet providers with respective modem+router  --> connected to the router (for failover) -->  switch --> M4 primary (in AP mode) attached to the first switch port; 5 different ethernet hubs in the home and 2 hubs are now secondary/slave deco devices in AP mode)

Kindly point me to the steps to set up the primary device in AP mode. The deco mobile application assumes that the setup will be as the router.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 863

Replies: 2