newbie here in the UK, what do I need to know about DECO (the newer version M4 Whole House)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

newbie here in the UK, what do I need to know about DECO (the newer version M4 Whole House)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-12 12:17:33

Hi there, so i'm looking at the M4 system, but can't seem to find the idiots guide to how to inslall/set up.

among the questions:

one assumes that they'll all need power?

I think you have to set one up near the router (I have a BT smart hub 6)?  do I connect with an ethernet cable direct to the router?

I have a limited Cat 5 network in the house with a network switch, so can I connect the two slaves to outlets on that network ie via ethernet cables?

if I don't use the network, do I connect wirelessly?

lots of talk re access point mode, what mode would I want, just to stabilise and boost the wifi in the house?

so I think the set up would be:

incoming cable to router (should I upgrade to a tp link router first?)

cable from router to primary deco box

connect to network switch box

connect slaves to network outlet points

is that it?

many thanks for anyone who can help me.

Options
2 Reply
Re:newbie here in the UK, what do I need to know about DECO (the newer version M4 Whole House)
2020-08-17 13:01:44 - last edited 2020-08-17 13:02:44

j4snh wrote

Hi there, so i'm looking at the M4 system, but can't seem to find the idiots guide to how to inslall/set up.

among the questions:

one assumes that they'll all need power?  Yes, each unit requires a normal 3 pin outlet.

I think you have to set one up near the router (I have a BT smart hub 6)?  do I connect with an ethernet cable direct to the router? Yes you do connect to an ethernet port.

I have a limited Cat 5 network in the house with a network switch, so can I connect the two slaves to outlets on that network ie via ethernet cables? Yes you can if you wish.

if I don't use the network, do I connect wirelessly? Yes you can.

lots of talk re access point mode, what mode would I want, just to stabilise and boost the wifi in the house? Whilst I don't use a BT Hub, the principle is the same for all users. You can turn off the wireless output from the BT Hub - I believe that is the recommended and best option, and you let the M4 do all the wireless. This would be the Access Point mode. The other mode (Router) can only be used if you can put your BT Hub into Modem Bridge only mode. I don't know whether the BT Hub can do that. If not you would use the Access Point Mode.

incoming cable to router (should I upgrade to a tp link router first?)  Correct about cable connection. Re the potential upgrade to TP Link router - this should not be necessary.

cable from router to primary deco box. Yes.

connect to network switch box. Although I haven't tried this, this should be totally fine.

connect slaves to network outlet points. Yes, do this one at a time as prompted by the App.

is that it? When you input the wireless settings for your Deco, I would use exactly the same credentials (SSID and Password) that you currently use and put these into the App. Otherwise you will have to visit ALL your devices and reconfigure them. Nothing wrong with that, but it might save you a lot of work and moanings from other users. Even then it is possible that you will have to check or re-configure some clients - such is the nature of things. 

many thanks for anyone who can help me.

@j4snh 

Hi. I've tried to answer to the best of my knowledge. Please look at the comments above in answer to each question. Hope this helps.

Options
Re:newbie here in the UK, what do I need to know about DECO (the newer version M4 Whole House)
2020-08-17 13:29:39

@j4snh 

- one assumes that they'll all need power?

Yes. They'll all have a power supply.

- I think you have to set one up near the router (I have a BT smart hub 6)?  do I connect with an ethernet cable direct to the router?

It you're using the M4s in router mode, it's bad news, the Hub 6 doesn't support bridge mode (modem only). You could however either buy an Openreach modem off of eBay (~£15), an alternative modem like a Draytek Vigor 130 (~£70 new) or just switch the wifi off on the Home Hub and use the M4s in AP (access point) mode. The latter will mean that the Home Hub does most of the legwork, the M4s will do the wifi. 

- I have a limited Cat 5 network in the house with a network switch, so can I connect the two slaves to outlets on that network ie via ethernet cables?

Yes. I'm not sure whether you'll need to reset the M4s if you've already set them up as wireless mesh, but something to consider before you set it all up. 

- if I don't use the network, do I connect wirelessly?

Not sure what you mean here. 

- lots of talk re access point mode, what mode would I want, just to stabilise and boost the wifi in the house?

I touched on this above, but AP mode might be best considering your router not supporting bridge anyway. 

-----

incoming cable to router (should I upgrade to a tp link router first?)

cable from router to primary deco box

connect to network switch box

connect slaves to network outlet points

is that it?

-----

Yes. You could 'upgrade' to another router, but I'd personally advise a modem instead, as otherwise you could have issues where the routers start conflicting if something isn't quite right (plus your internet connection is separated from the internal network which would be easier to diagnose as far as i'm concerned)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 2