M9 with Powerline Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 03:14:54
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Although my home isn't particularly large, I'm finding the wireless Backhaul between units is very patchy.  I suspect it may be due to interference created by some of the walls (possibly with water pipes).  It's not possible to wire units together with Ethernet unfortunately.  However I do have several Powerline units (ie, Ethernet over power) which support speeds of up to 1200 and they regularly get around 400-500.  For my needs, this isn't terrible.

My questions;

1. Do the deco units automatically use Ethernet backhaul when it is available, or do they adjust based on actual raw speeds?  How do I tell what backhaul is being used -- am I missing something in the app?  

2. I've seen reference to Ethernet backhaul working when units are directly connected to each other.  However, in my case they arent actually being DIRECTLY connected, but rather are connected via Ethernet through the powerline units and through my central router.  Is this likely to work?

TIA

Options
3 Reply
Re:M9 with Powerline Backhaul
2020-08-17 05:53:52

@Nick1234 in the latest 1.4.2 firmware and deco app you are able to see if connections are wired or wireless

Options
2020-08-17 09:58:02

@Nick1234 After a bit of playing, I was able to answer a couple of my own questions...

Yes, powerline backhaul works, but only if I set the operating mode to 'Access Point'.  Unfortunately this causes me to lose some of the cool features like parental control, but I guess I can work without it for the time being. 

However, I can't tell whether the units switch to ethernet/powerline backhaul based on speed... or whether it just happens automatically no matter.

Options
2020-11-03 09:22:41

Hi @Nick1234 

I use two Deco M9+ units at either end of my house connected with powerline (Ethernet over Power EoP) adapters in between and I use them in router operating mode. This is because my house has brick internal walls which cut the wifi down a lot. I believe the M9+ units will use a wired connection over wireless wherever possible on the expectation it will be faster. Recently one of my EoP adapters failed (protip: don't put them upside down) and when there was no ethernet backhaul the M9+ would fall back to wifi backhaul.

My connections are as follows: {Internet}-->broadband-modem-->M9+(main)-->network-switch-->EoP-adapter-->powerline-to-other-end-of-house-->EoP-adapter-->M9+(extender)

As you can see I don't have another router so am using the M9+ main unit in router mode.

I hope this helps a little for you to retry router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1796

Replies: 3

Related Articles