Complete novice needing assistance in seamless wifi setup...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-19 12:54:31 - last edited 2020-09-21 03:37:53

Hi,

Being a complete novice at networking, I am urgently needing help on the wifi setup of my new gear I have just bought to get seamless wifi at the bottom of the garden on our decking.

Before I go into detail, although I am a user of PC's etc. & am self employed at home as a Graphic Designer, my knowledge of the networking terminology: SSID (which I have since looked up), Clients, Mac Addresses, etc. etc. is an area I get completely confused with & I do not want to mess it all up naturally.

I realise that this question has probably been often covered somewhere on here before, but being "network stupid", I am really after someone helping me by explaining to me in a step by step process in simple english on how to solve the problem I want to fix (& I know this is possible as I have watched videos but they start going down the nertworking jargon route & therfore I'm lost!

My dilemma:

I have successfully setup my new TP-Link AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point & TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with 4-Port POE via the instructions on the Omada App on my iPhone.

The switch is connected via ethernet cable to my Virgin Superhub 3.

The problem I have is that I want to be able to move from the house to the decking & so on & maintain my wifi to both areas with the same password - SSID (?) seamlessly.

At present, the setup is 2 networks, the Virgin house network & "Garden - 5G" (which is what I was directed to do during setup via the app). I do have a 2G Garden network too but do not use this as a rule.

At the moment, I have to switch from one wifi zone to the other when moving from house to garden.

This causes issues as connection is very limited when i move say back to the house & its still connected to the garden. I use EE's Wificall setup as the signal here is rubbish because we live in a small "valley" & phonecalls don't come through without changing networks manually.

From what I have also seen on the internet, I may need a TP-LinkOC200 Omada Cloud Controller to achieve what I need?  Is this correct? If so, I will order one straight away to solve my dilemma.

On a final note, My Virgin home Wifi network achieves 215mbs but "Garden - 5G" network achieves between 90 - 93mbs. I thought the TP-Link setup would echo the same result as my Virgin router as it is all hard wired together, am I correct in assuming this??

so...

Many thanks for reading this & if I can get some Kind Network Guru angel to provide me with a simple step by step guide to this, I would HUGELY appreciate it because at the moment, it's doing my bloody head in!! angry

Many thanks & stay safe everyone.

Best Regards

Rick

Options
1 Reply
Re:Complete novice needing assistance in seamless wifi setup...
2020-08-21 22:19:39 - last edited 2020-09-21 03:37:53

Hi, Seems to me there is no-one out there that can assist? Maybe it's too complex/not at easy as it looks or too difficult to explain, but there must be something out there I could refer too out there that could resolve my issue - a link or pointer at least??

Surely everyone here had to start somewhere with solving their own networking issues??...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 1

Related Articles