What's the best Deco in my case?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-20 09:32:42 - last edited 2020-08-20 09:36:52

I have the ISP router in a very bad place for wifi coverage, but there are cables from there going to the living room and 2 bedrooms. I want to buy a 3-pack Mesh router so I can put 1 in the living room and 1 in each bedroom. The wanted network "architecture" is like that:

1 Gigabit FTTH ISP router

ISP Router/Switch port #1 -> cat5e -> RJ45 wall connector -> house wiring -> RJ45 wall connector -> cat5e -> Living room Deco -> Gigabit switch -> SMART TV/NAS with link aggregation/TV BOX

ISP Router/Switch port #2 -> cat5e -> RJ45 wall connector -> house wiring -> RJ45 wall connector -> cat5e -> Bedroom #1 Deco -> Gigabit switch -> SMART TV/TV BOX

ISP Router/Switch port #3 -> cat5e -> RJ45 wall connector -> house wiring -> RJ45 wall connector -> cat5e -> Bedroom #2 Deco -> Gigabit switch -> SMART TV/Console/TV BOX

ISP Router/Switch port #4 (unused)

Most of my stuff is wired and get 920Mb+, but I have notebooks, tablets and smartphones who need wifi and I want to achieve the best possible speed on wifi too. I need a Deco with wired backhaul capabilities and at least 2 Gigabit ports, because one will be used for the cable coming from the ISP router and the other will be used to connect my Gigabit switch. It would be useful if the router also had wifi backhaul, even though I will not use now, I might move somewhere else where there is no house wiring and wired backhaul would be useless until I pass the cables.

I will disable WIFI on the ISP router and only use the Decos.

Options
2 Reply
Re:What's the best Deco in my case?
2020-08-21 11:08:54

bump

Options
Re:What's the best Deco in my case?
2020-08-21 12:04:30 - last edited 2020-08-21 12:05:29

It seems the Deco won't be my best option. I did some research and my 2019 Samsung Smart TVs, Nintendo Switch and some older notebooks are not compatible with 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r, making the whole mesh idea not fit for me.I thought this meant that fast roaming would not work for them, but they would still be able to connect to the network. It seems it's not the case, they won't even be able to connect to the network!!!

I read an old post (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/111432) talking about two options:

1. Disable fast roaming (terrible option)

2. Create a Guest network with fast roaming disable (it seems it doesn't work so well)

I don't wanna try my luck on a $350 pieace of hardware, so instead I will just buy way cheaper regular wifi 6 routers/access point and setup them as APs

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 428

Replies: 2

Related Articles