Trouble connecting NAS - Deco M9 plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 10:03:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I just moved to a Deco M9 plus today.

The house has a 1GBps optic fiber and it ends in a modem (which does not act as a router).

From this, I have taken the connection to a switch. The NAS and the Deco M9 main router are connected to this switch. However, I am not able to see my NAS from any of the devices that are on the Deco M9 wireless.

What is the best way to wire this as I want all my wireless devices to have access to the NAS.

My previous setup was a TP Link C9 Archer. The cable modem was connected to this router. Then router to switch and switch to NAS. 

The Archer still works and it that's somehow part of the solution, that is fine too.

regards

Options
8 Reply
Re:Trouble connecting NAS - Deco M9 plus
2020-08-21 15:00:50

@Kramanat Hi, I also have 3 Deco M9+ and a NAS, using the main Deco as router.  As per diagram below, the main Deco is connected via CAT6 cable and TP-Link switch to a second Deco. The 3rd Deco is wireless. I am able to connect to my NAS from both wired and wireless devices, such as my Win10 laptop for example.

I recently upgraded my basement Windows Workstation from Win7 to Win10. Sometimes (like yesterday) I experience it is not able to connect to my NAS, while my Linux Kubuntu Workstation had no issues (both wired). After some investigation I found the problem was that the "Workstation" service under Win10 had not started properly so the name of the NAS could not be resolved. After starting the service, it worked.  Maybe you have similar issues.

Options
2020-08-21 17:37:28

@cacb thanks. That's interesting. I was trying to do exactly the same - wired link from model to M9 and then connecting the switch to this router and attaching the NAS to it.

In fact, I could not get even wired internet on that line when I tested it with my MacBook Pro. 

Are all your M9s set to router mode? 

Options
2020-08-21 19:17:16

@Kramanat Well, it is a mesh system. You set the main Deco in router or access point (AP) mode, and the other 2 simply "comply".

Not sure what causes your problem. Notice my ISP router is in bridge mode so it doesn't conflict with the Deco router. Everything works as expected here, so the Deco M9+ is certainly capable to this kind of thing when set up right.

Options
2020-08-22 02:42:36

@cacb thanks, let me run a few more tests. My incoming cable has a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and it does not function as a router. And I also don't have a windows laptop to test with. 

But as I see it, your setup should be exactly applicable to mine. 

Fiber incoming ONT ---> M9 Plus router ----> Switch ----> NAS

M9 router ---> 2 other M9 pucks connected wirelessly

Will report back as soon as I can run a few more iterations :)

Options
2020-08-22 05:27:57

So, I borrowed a Windows laptop to check if the output cable from M9 has an internet connection. It does. I then connected that wire to the switch - and the line from the switch also has internet. 

Clearly, the issue is with the NAS now. 

The NAS has an IP address of 192.168.1.103 and my router ip is 192.168.68.1. Will this cause any issues? If yes, any ideas on how to fix this? Also, the NAS is set to port 8001. I am just trying to provide all details here to see if it helps identify where the issue is. 

Options
2020-08-22 05:41:45

@Kramanat I would try to open a terminal window (cmd.exe) and try to ping the NAS, to see if it responds. My NAS is 10.0.0.2 because I set the  LAN router IP to be 10.0.0.1 and the NAS has a static IP 10.0.0.2, but yours should be fine too

C:\Windows\System32>ping 10.0.0.2

Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

if you get a reply similar to above using "ping 192.168.1.103" then I would say the problem is not in the Deco's, most likely.

My NAS has a host name "THECUSNAS" and I can ping it successfully using that name intead of the IP also.

Options
2020-08-22 06:19:10
@cacb And finally, success. After. I typed the message, realized the issue had to be with the NAS IP address. So, restarted the NAS and it assigned itself a new IP in the same range as the router. So, all sorted and good to go!!
Options
2020-08-22 06:48:03 - last edited 2020-08-22 06:48:54

@Kramanat Excellent. The clue was really in your previous post, I didn't see until now that the NAS IP you listed was really out of range. So rebooting the NAS was certainly the way to go. 

It is easy to blame the Decos when something does not work 100%, but this example shows the Decos are often innocent :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3769

Replies: 8

Related Articles