Deco M5 - Turns red during setup when trying to connect to network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 21:05:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I bought a Deco M5 a few months ago, and when I initially set it up I remember having issues. I eventually got it to work, but can't remember what I did. We had some internet issues recently so I'm having to set it up again, and I can't figure out what is going on. But it worked for a few months so I feel like there might be something small that I am missing.

When I plug in the internet, and restart the main deco it will go from yellow to flashing blue. When I start setting it up through the app, my phone will find the deco via bluetooth and connect. I'm able to create the network and password, and the network will then pop up on other devices. The next step is when the Deco App prompts you to connect to the main access point, and when it tried to do that the light turns red, and I get a 'connected but no internet' from my phone. After that is where I need to restart, and try it again.

I think it has to be something with my phone. The access point works fine, I used it for months. I know we have internet, because I tried an other router and it works perfectly. Decos website mentions that android VPNs can cause issues, but I disabled all of the VPNs on my phone.

I can't figure out where the hiccup is. Has anyone else run in to any issues with setup, or think of anything that might be causing this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Turns red during setup when trying to connect to network
2020-08-24 13:57:28

@222 

Had similiar experience setting up M4 and satellites.  I don't think it is your phone, the manual says a red light means the Deco has "an issue".  I reset the base unit and satellites by pressing the recessed reset button (on the bottom of M4).  You will need a pin or something similar to access the button.  I gave it a quick press and then started the setup process over.  The second set up worked.  I have no explanation as to why it failed the first time.  Hope this helps. 

Options
2020-08-25 22:05:59

@Michaelmas 

Appreciate the response back! But I've actually reset and tried to set up at least 6-7 times now. 

I'm always able to create the network (other devices can see it), but on the next step where it tried to connect the phone to the main Deco - that is where the light turns red. It's something about the connection process to the phone (I think). Since I know my internet is good, and I know the Deco works (as I used it for a few months before this). 

Options
2020-08-26 19:16:45

@222 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  

This may not have anything to do with it, but I think the phone has to be connected to the Deck network.  If you are connecting via Bluetooth, maybe that's the hang up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1605

Replies: 3