Help with network mesh mesh requirements and setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-24 08:33:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all,

I am in the process of purchasing networking equipment for my new home.
I would appreciate if you can provide feedback for whether my setup will work.
I want to be sure that I won't waste money on hardware that won't do the job so I count on you to tell me if this is going to work.

Below you will find a schema of my home.

What are my requirements:

• I wish to have wifi coverage in the whole area (every floor)
  • I wish to have only 1 SSID (no switching between wifi networks from floor to floor)
  • I wish to have some devices still connected to Ethernet - i.e. Living room has a Smart TV, Home Server, TV Cable Box; Office has a Gaming PC, another TV

How I plan to set up the network:
- Archer C7 router in the basement. Lan cables from every floor will connect directly to the C7 router ethernet ports
- Deco 3 Deco m5 devices in top floors above basement - Living room, Bedroom 1 & Office - to cover the wifi on those floors.
- TL-SG105 switches in Living room & Office to connect static devices such as TVs, Home Server, Gaming PC etc through a cable for better connectivity.

Living Room topology:
Archer C7 (basement floor) <- Deco M5 (in the Living room floor) <- TL-SG105 <- TV & Home Server

Office topology:
Archer C7 (basement floor) <- Deco M5 (In the office floor) <- TL-SG105 <- TV & Gaming PC

Deco M5 Units will be set to Access Point mode. 
Ethernet Backhaul will be enabled so that all communication between Decos & static devices will go through Cable instead of WiFi.

Is this topology going to work? Do you see any concerns with this setup?
Please advise!

Thank you in advance for the help!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Help with network mesh mesh requirements and setup
2020-08-24 09:24:52

Does the basement need WiFi?

You don't have an M5 there, although it could be covered by the one from the floor above.

Options
2020-08-24 10:21:09

@McFly it wouldn't hurt to have wifi in the basement, although it's not really a requirement. But isn't it already covered by the Archer router anyway?

Options
2020-08-24 12:24:01
You'll be turning the Archer WiFi off, especially since you want one SSID.
Options
2020-08-24 12:42:49

@McFly if the decos are in Access point mode should I turn off the Archer wifi? My understanding is that the decos will act as an extender to the wifi of the Archer. Or did I get this the wrong way?

Options
2020-08-24 12:53:57
The Deco Mesh cannot include the Archer.
Options
2020-08-24 13:04:34

@McFly In that case, does this mean that with the proposed setup all requirements are satisfied except having a wifi in the basement (unless the living roomndeco is within range)? 

If in the future I need a wifi in the basement I can always add a fourth deco there. Is this a viable option?

Options
2020-08-24 14:24:21 - last edited 2020-08-24 14:25:09

Correct. BTW I'd switch the... switches and M5s around in your topology. Ie. Archer -> Switch -> M5 and other devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 745

Replies: 7

Related Articles