Archer T4U V3 keeps disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-09 22:12:44 - last edited 2020-09-16 07:14:53
Model: Archer T4U  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Archer T4U(US)_V3_181023_Win

Simple... Most times the adapter will keep disconnecting (making sounds of USB connected/disconnected) if I select a 5GHz Network... From other search I've discovered that one of the problems is because this driver (on TP-LINK's website) is too "old" and windows keep trying to use a "newer" one. If I try to update the driver to the correct one (downloaded from TP-Link), sometimes the adapter will freeze, or keep restarting, or switch back to the default driver. So I have to unplug, replug, update driver again until it finally works.

The other problem is that sometimes I'll suspend or leave my PC unattended for some time, and then the connection is lost and I have to try my luck again with the cycle described above. I can't believe there's been 2 years since last driver update, because it's pretty obvious these won't work for 5GHz at all (various reports)... It doesn't even work properly for 2.4GHz because the connection is spotty (stuttering) if using the default driver.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer T4U V3 keeps disconnecting
2020-09-16 11:21:10

@Kathy_Z 

Hi, thanks for replying!

I tried the driver you mentioned, it acts the same as the one provided with windows.

I've attached the image above hoping that the issue is made clearer.

The driver 1) is what is installed when I download the software from TP-LINK's website. It works, but I need to try installing it 3 to 10 times before it's finally stable... sometimes the adapter will turn off completely and I have to replug it. When windows is restarted/turn off it goes back to the driver from Microsoft (because it's newer). I guess if you just updated the date on this driver and republish it, most of my issues with the adapter would be gone.

One of drivers 2) or 3) is the one provided by my windows installation. The other one was added after I installed the driver you linked here. Both behave the same, like the device is being plugged/unplugged continuously. They'll only connect if I had a 2G network previously selected, and the connection is spotty (stuttering in games, for example). Once I try a 5G network, it'll go turning on/off repeatedly and not connecting at all.

I've had the adapter for almost 6 months now, and it showed this issue from the first day. I never contacted support because I found the "workaround" of installing the "TP-Link Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter" driver, and I thought I could live with it. It's just that last week the connection was lost several times when the computer was idle and not reconnecting even after 20 or so reinstalls/replugs of the driver/adapter.

About the system information:

Driver version of the driver that WORKS on 5G:

Driver version of the one provided by windows:

Driver version of the one you provided on this thread:

I've noticed that the one installed from the website is the same version you provided here, albeit with a different name. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when trying to connect using the one you linked. I've tried several times and the only one that I can connect to a 5G network is the first driver.

I've attached the msinfo32 file you required, but I had to zip it because the .txt file was over 10mb.

Thanks again in advance.

File:
msinfo32.zipDownload
Options
2020-10-14 21:03:22

@Rehv 

How did you manage to fix the problem? I think there Is an issue with the Windows 10 provided driver.

Options
2020-11-14 21:11:04 - last edited 2020-11-14 21:19:27

@Rehv     @Stepp0 

For my case, 

Case 1: "TP-Link driver" installed -> "plug unplug"  sound (switch on/off) itself

Case 2: "TP-Link" driver installed + updated to the newest Microsoft version -> "plug unplug" sound (switch on/off) itself

Case 3: only newest "Microsoft version" installed -> works perfectly, switched between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz without struggling

I think the culprit is the driver provided by TP-Link themself. 

The workaround for me is to uninstall all the software (driver & WPS tools) provided by TP-Link. Go to Device Manager -> Right Click the Adapter (It should be in yellow ! mark now) -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Install the "driver provided by Microsoft" (newest one depends on the version of Windows 10, should be newer than the one tp-link provided). Once the installation is successful and with no errors, then you can switch between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network smoothly without any plug/unplug sound, disconnection, etc. 

For now, just don't install or download any driver from tp-link unless they provided an updated driver. Just use the "stock" driver from Microsoft. 

In short, uninstall all the tp-link driver and software, reinstall the driver provided by Microsoft, use Microsoft's driver

Options
2021-02-02 20:30:21 - last edited 2021-02-02 20:30:37

The stock driver provided by Microsoft is what caused the TP-Link AC1300 T4U to disconnect from 5GHz networks for me. Instead, the solution provided at https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/153227?replyId=506056 worked for me.

Options
2021-02-02 23:25:18

Well, this isn't a solution because I honestly don't know what happened.

When I installed the additional driver provided by TP-Link support here, I was with 3 drivers... some time later, the one I installed when I got the adapter was gone, and I never had any problem connecting or staying connected, or needing to unplug it.

I don't know what did it, so... I guess... try to leave the driver there for a while and hope for the best???

Options
2021-03-17 22:52:24 - last edited 2021-03-17 22:53:14

@Rehv If your problem was like mine (wi-fi disconnects and you hear the plug/unplug sound), then you'll have to uninstall the driver you downloaded from tp-link website and use the generic one microsoft provides in windows. Apparently, both drivers try to overwrite one-another, which is what caused the problem for me. Using the microsoft generic driver worked for me. No more disconnections.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 16018

Replies: 7

Related Articles