TL-WR740N Trouble Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR740N Trouble Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
58 Reply
Re:TL-WR740N Trouble Wifi
2013-04-02 02:29:41

Casper wrote

EDIT:
hmmm.. updated firmware from TP-Link out...TL-WR740N_V4_130322

Modifications and Bug Fixes:

Fixed some vulnerabilities and improved security
Improved wireless connection stability

.......better try it out then.

Was looking good but then...
Latest TP-Link firmware was running for almost 2 1/2 days, but then stopped responding while I was using WiFi on my phone. Checked my other phone which was still "connected", but also nothing. :( I'm so tired of this!

Oh, and TP-Link changed the "Modifications and Bug Fixes" description:

Fixed some vulnerabilities and improved security
Fixed a bug that wireless may encounter disconnection when there are over 8 clients with powersave enabled.
Options
2013-04-02 21:38:22
Hi Casper

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Gargoyle version 1.5.9 | OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment branch |
| Gargoyle revision f73df29 | OpenWrt revision r34879 |
| Built January 03, 2013 | Target ar71xx/default |
------------------------------------------------------------------

root@Tension:~# uptime
19:06:31 up 10 days, 6:27, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05

Its up 10days now without any issues. I tried dd wrt also, but that brings down wifi every 3days. Gargoyle is the only way out as far as i seen.
Options
2013-04-03 02:39:18
Inxreddy, how can one easily and safely get back to stock firmware from Gargoyle?
Using W7 Ultimate x64.
Options
2013-04-04 20:53:28

Casper wrote

Inxreddy, how can one easily and safely get back to stock firmware from Gargoyle?
Using W7 Ultimate x64.

Havent tried to revert back to stock so far.

Update, My router gave up after 11days :( Still thats the max i could ever get. WIFI stops this morning and i had to reboot, Router was up and running as it was.

Maybe its time i had to live with this junk hardware.

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Gargoyle version 1.5.9 | OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment branch |
| Gargoyle revision f73df29 | OpenWrt revision r34879 |
| Built January 03, 2013 | Target ar71xx/default |
------------------------------------------------------------------
root@Tension:~# uptime
05:44:09 up 11 days, 17:05, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.04
root@Tension:~#
Options
2013-04-06 15:53:38
Ok guys,

to revert back to stock firmware , i have used the following method

1.Gargoyle ===> 2.Openwrt ====> 3. STOCK TP-LINK

as u can always go back n forth to openwrt FROM gargoyle n vice versa

i was reading the forums and thats the method i found to revert back to stock if you are on Gargoyle, but i believe you can use the stock firmware file like you use in Openwrt to get back to stock , as Gargoyle uses Openwrt under the hood. the default firmware file from TP-LINK website wont help it will say size mismatch (dont know why ), use the following links to download the revert file ...but i still want to ask why would anyone wants to do that? knowing that they have tried all the other options available n Gargoyle is the best at the moment .

recovery link to the stock firmware http://www.multiupload.nl/86QQX5NYVP
Options
2013-04-06 16:06:19
Well, I'd only go back to perhaps test out new firmware releases from TP-Link etc.
OK, so you're saying that it's safe to flash stock firmware from within openwrt? I read somewhere that the file must containt the word "boot" in it (which they do anyways). And it's safe to just flash openwrt firmware through Gargoyle? You've used this method yourself and got back?
Options
Yes i DID
2013-04-12 01:37:25

Casper wrote

Well, I'd only go back to perhaps test out new firmware releases from TP-Link etc.
OK, so you're saying that it's safe to flash stock firmware from within openwrt? I read somewhere that the file must containt the word "boot" in it (which they do anyways). And it's safe to just flash openwrt firmware through Gargoyle? You've used this method yourself and got back?

well as far knowing about the how good are the new firmwares , just go to forums and u will ppl complaining , if its alot of complaining than u know there are issues , u can avoid the pain of going back to stock firmware,

yup i have used the file i have given in the link to get back to stock firmware , from Openwrt , and it worked flawlessly , before that i tried the file downloaded from the tp-link website , but it gave the error of the size mismatch , and i read somewhere that it has to do the with the boot partition is laid out in openwrt in the router file system , but with new firmware updates tp-link has updated the bootloader in the firmwares , which kind of breaked the reverting back to stock , but somebody patched the file and put a link on the forums , so i downloaded and used it and it worked nicely ,

i have used the file to get back to stock from openwrt , but i love gargoyle and i dont want to try anything else :) for a good router u need it to be stable , has some cool options and gargoyle gives it all :)

Yes its safe to flash openwrt firmware through gargoyle . and u can flash openwrt firmware from gargoyle also i would say use the whole package not the not he sysupgrade one , just to be on the safe side.
Options
2013-04-24 22:44:00
I could revert back to stock firmware easily with the file given by eddyi, All i had to do was on Gragoyle GUI system firmware point it to the file downloaded and hit upgrade.

Just did to test the new fw form stock 3.16.5 Build 130322 Rel.59120n
Options
2013-05-04 02:43:37
Hi all,

also running the latest Firmware Version: 3.16.5 Build 130322 Rel.59120n Hardware Version: WR740N v4 00000000 for 2 weeks now.

My problem is slightly different compared to the ones described above (no freeze experienced so far), but with most current stock fw hitting router ping packet drops over 802.11 n roughly between 5-10%, even the router is located in the next room - signal strength ~ -55 dBm, no channel collisions in the nearest neighborhoods etc.

The packet loss isn't somehow remarkable when browsing, but any file transfer to NAS is a nightmare (ftp/smb) due to disconnections.
Could someone with WR740N v4 please share the experience? Thanks!
Options
2013-05-04 02:44:17
Hi all,

also running the latest Firmware Version: 3.16.5 Build 130322 Rel.59120n Hardware Version: WR740N v4 00000000 for 2 weeks now.

My problem is slightly different compared to the ones described above (no freeze experienced so far), but with most current stock fw hitting router ping packet drops over 802.11 n roughly between 5-10%, even the router is located in the next room - signal strength ~ -55 dBm, no channel collisions in the nearest neighborhoods etc.

The packet loss isn't somehow remarkable when browsing, but any file transfer to NAS is a nightmare (ftp/smb) due to disconnections.
Could someone with WR740N v4 please share the experience? Thanks!
Options
Related Articles