Laserjet 1018 on TL-PS310U

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 19:56:38
Model: TL-PS310U  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.076.003.T0209

I just got a PS310U unit in good working order. Firmware is updated to the version that prevents the server from losing network connectivity. I'm trying to link up my Laserjet 1018 with the device and I'm not getting anywhere. I have Win10 machines in my home network.

From my main system (which the printer works fine on when plugged in directly), I try the following:

1) Set static IP address in the server's web interface.

2) Install the MFP and Storage server (sees the printer and connects to it)

3) Add printer using procedures I've found online:

* TP link steps: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/929/

* thorough youtube steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJ5MYZGpQM

4) Tried variations on lpr (lpr1 vs. lpr2), enabled/disabled bidirectional support, enabled/disabled lpr byte counting...

5) Completely uninstalled existing drivers, reinstalled just the basic driver.

Nothing works. The server sees the printer but test page printing, text file printing...nothing works. the printer shows "locally connected" in the server, but when i send a test page from the main system, i get a "printer busy or error" message.

At a loss for what to do next. Suggestions, please? Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Laserjet 1018 on TL-PS310U
2020-10-02 14:56:15

Thanks for the reply and for providing the link to the latest print server!

I got the printer to work in the end -- on one machine, I already have the earlier print server, on another the new one. Here are the steps I took:

1. Make sure the printer works directly plugged in to the system. Seems there has to be a local instance of the printer installed.

2. When setting up the printer through the print server, even though it was locally connected through the server, it never worked until I selected" enable bidirectional support" in the LOCAL printer instance.

These steps weren't at all obvious to me and it seems I can still print even though I'm selecting the locally installed driver. Somehow, it must be talking to the print server okay. Sharing these steps in case it helps someone else!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 935

Replies: 2

Related Articles